icon

bringing up my sound stage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
I currently run 6" dayton rs 150's mated with jl audio crt 050 tweeters in my kick panels and peerless sls 6.5" in my doors .the mids are crossed over @ 600hz and they cross with the tweeter at 3500hz .This set up is very clean and natural sounding but is a bit low it sounds like it is right around my cup holders in my dodge ram reg cab so about belly button height.I am wonering about an idea I have let me know what you guys think.
I have these full range speakers:http://www.parts-express.com/images/item_thumb/264-812_t.jpg
I was thinking of building some spherical enclosure for them and mounting them off axis on my a-pillars .what I dont know is what frequency to bandpass them at .I know i dont want them in the low end spectrum and if there too high I believe they will beam. any suggestions? Is this even a good idea? Have a better solution?please post any idea you might have for bringing up the height of my sound stage.
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't... More drivers will not help, ESPECIALLY if they will be running any of the frequency band already being reproduced.
What is the physical configuration of your drivers? Draw a quick sketch and post it. My bet is that you won't have optimal driver placement.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

Here is something I saved ...Its shows when a cone speaker begins to beam relevant to its size.....Assuming 30C or 86 degrees F:

12" ~ 1,150Hz
10" ~ 1,380Hz
8" ~ 1,720Hz
7"~ 1,970Hz
6.5" ~ 2,120Hz
5.25" ~ 2,620Hz
4" ~ 3,440Hz
3" ~ 4,950Hz
2" ~ 6,880Hz
1" ~ 13,750Hz

I agree with Haemphyst........You dont ever want multiple drivers reproducing the same frequencies...

Are you running fully active?

What x-over are you using?

spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2009 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
boogeyman wrote:

Here is something I saved ...Its shows when a cone speaker begins to beam relevant to its size.....Assuming 30C or 86 degrees F:

12" ~ 1,150Hz
10" ~ 1,380Hz
8" ~ 1,720Hz
7"~ 1,970Hz
6.5" ~ 2,120Hz
5.25" ~ 2,620Hz
4" ~ 3,440Hz
3" ~ 4,950Hz
2" ~ 6,880Hz
1" ~ 13,750Hz

I agree with Haemphyst........You dont ever want multiple drivers reproducing the same frequencies...

Are you running fully active?

What x-over are you using?

Thanx for the info, I can see both you and haem's point. I run passive .I am working on the sketch haem requested now ,lol i have never done that so bare with me!!!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2009 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
if your kick panel speakers are aimed correctly then i would assume that its the speakers that are in your doors causing your low stage. it could also be that your kickpanel tweeters aren't aimed right. but im with everyone else, more speakers probably wont solve anything. it will only serve to make your sound over complicated and harder to make sound good.
spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
do you think making an under dash pad for my truck would help bring up my soundstage? I was thinking that I might be losing alot of sound energy behind the dash so I was going to make pads to seal of the opening under my dashboard
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2009 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
Its easy to do and inexpensive.....I would go for it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic