icon

horn wire at air bag connector

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the05bluredline 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

I am installing a scytek 8000 remote start in a 2005 saturn ion redline. Looking at the wireing schematic for my vehicle there is two black ground wires at the connector behind the steering wheel. one goes to the "inflatable restraint" and one to the horn relay. My question is if i probe the wires with my multi meter and the red wire is connected to a 12v positive and I probe the wrong wire with black negative of the multi meter will it set of the air bag? 

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
i couldnt say but i know i would be pulling the SRS fuses before i attempted it...............
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
And don't try it. Shouldn't air bag wiring have a yellow tape around it?
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

I have personally tested for the horn wire at airbag connectors, never triggered one yet! Can't say for sure on your vehicle, what you could do is look at the colour of the wires at the connector, normally the airbag wires hold a common theme of colour and the horn is the odd one out, OR, the horn wire is usually located away from the airbag wires on the connector! Not that these are sure ways of locating it, but it may help! Cheers, good luck!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
the05bluredline 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
t&t tech wrote:

I have personally tested for the horn wire at airbag connectors, never triggered one yet! Can't say for sure on your vehicle, what you could do is look at the colour of the wires at the connector, normally the airbag wires hold a common theme of colour and the horn is the odd one out, OR, the horn wire is usually located away from the airbag wires on the connector! Not that these are sure ways of locating it, but it may help! Cheers, good luck!

Yeah i have looked at the connector and they are not Signified at all. No yellow loom or tape just the connector is yellow and the black wires are 1 wire apart from each other and if you look at the schematic (which i'll try and post tomorrow) one runs directly to the air bag and one runs to the horn relay located some where in the dash I suppose i could pull the fuse to the air bags but i've heard they can still go off. i dont know how if the connection is broke by pulling the fuse but maybe i'll just go ahead and pull the fuse and see what happens. 

zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2009 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  
You're fine. That's why you use a multimeter as opposed to a test light. Red on constant, and black to the wire you're testing. You won't have an issue.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2009 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  
Test with key off, no problem with a DVM. Second Gen airbags are no longer covered with yellow...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2009 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
Get connection at the horn unit!!!??
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.