the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2000 taurus wagon / viper 571

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  

Hi All,

I have a Viper installed in my 2000 Ford Taurus Wagon and would like to get the rear window defrost connected to the Viper 571 Remote Start.  I have the install manual and understant the it is the "Blue/White (-) 200mA 2nd status/defogger" wire that gets connected to????  I have look at the wiring diagram and it shows what looks like a switch(button) that powers the defroster,  to a Light Emitting Diode, to a 1.2k  Resistor, to a 10A Fuse, to a Rear Window Defrost Relay, (87 terminal),  in a Central Junction Box under drivers side dash. 86, 85, and 30 terminals are on this relay.

My question is: Can I connect the Blue/White (-) 200mA 2nd status/defogger  to the wire behind the defrost switch after the 1.2 k Resistor, and then the Rear Window Defroster Relay would feed the defrost circuit??

Thanks for all who look at this question.

Rich

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
If the wire you're thinking about connecting it to goes to terminal 87 on the defroster relay then you won't be able to connect the defogger wire of the 571xv there! You may have to use a relay and five wire it!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
smokeman1 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

Hey T&t Tech,

Thanks for the replay.  Any guideance as to what wire to connect to with a relay or ??? 

Thanks

Rich

smokeman1 
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  

hey again,

Is ther a way, or should I just be sending 12 volts to the defrost grid with a relay, bypassing the entire cars relays, switches, and other componants??

Rich

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
first you have to determine the polarity of the signal that is being sent, when the defroster button is activated! Ascertain this, and post back when you do!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
as t&t said, find the polarity of the defrost wire first. Now you can get this directly at the switch if its acessable, or go to the defroster wires at the back. some cars vary. it may be a neg trigger to activate factory relay, but 12v + is sent to the defrost, so test carefully.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
My ex has a 2000 Taurus sedan, and I'm almost sure that hooking up her rear defroster was an easy one-wire hookup with no relay.
If you turn the defroster on and off at the switch, you should hear a clicking sound inside the driver's fuse box.
Does that diagram you have show a wire color coming from the switch? That's the wire you want.
There should be a low-current negative wire from the switch to the fuse box, and then a high-current positive wire going fromt he fuse box to the back of the car.
If you get it as a negative, you won't need a relay, and your installation will be neater and easier.
Just find (and of course, test) that wire that goes into the fusebox, that's coming from the switch---I think it makes a momentary negative pulse every time you push the button on the dash.
P.S. Is your remote start already done? Did you power up the BLACK/ green second-accessory wire? Or, in other words, do your radio and wipers work during remote start?
That BLACK/ green powers up not only the wipers and radio, but enables the low-current negative wire for the defroster too...........if you don't power up the BLACK/ green at the steering column, the defroster won't work during remote start.
smokeman1 
Posted: December 21, 2009 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

All Right!...Here is what I have found:

1 The input to the defrost switch is BD/OG and has 11.5 positive volt in.  Ignition off. 

2. The output from the defrost switch is DG/VT and also has 11.2 positive  volts at it.       Ignition on and defrost button pressed to ON.                                     NO VOLTAGE AT THIS WIRE WHEN THE IGNITION IS OFF.

3. Both of these wires come in/out of a "Intergrated Control Panel"  which is where the CD player, and all climate controls are.  This is connector C2009 in my taurus wiring diagram book.  It also has all of the audio wiring,( Power, Speaker, audio system on, volatge .....)

When I press the defrost button on and off I hear a clicking at the "Central Junction Box", and that is where a SPDT relay is for the Rear Window Defrost. There is constant voltage on pin 30 with ignition on or off.  The is voltage on pin 85 when the ignition is on.

I did find a BN/LB wire under the drivers side sill cover that has 0 voltage when off,  .02 volts positive when on remote start, (defrost button off), and 14.5 volts positive when on remote start with the defrost button turned on. ( Had to press it to ON in the remote start mode).

4. In the remote start mode my radio works, heater fan works, power windows work, wipers work, parking lights come on, dash lights come on, and the rear window defrost will come on ONLY if you press the button.

I had this Viper installed by an authorized dealer about 18 months ago.  So, with all of the above info, can i simply connect a 12 volt source to the BN/LB wire under the drivers sill cover using a relay in conjuction with the Blue/White (-) 200mA 2nd status/defogger ??  Or should I be looking at something else or other wires or???...........

Thanks again,

Rich

chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,424
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2009 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
there should be a blue/orange wire pin 17 negitive pulse behind the climate control head thats your switch wire    i belive its a pulsed trigger but test first
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2009 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  
It seems that the DG/VT(I'm assuming that's dark GREEN/ violet?) is the wire you want - is it testing as 12V at rest with the ignition on, and 0V with the defroster button held in? Or 0V at rest with ignition on and it goes to 12V when the button is held? I've usually found that defroster buttons send a ground pulse, but it's quite possible that your car is different.
If it's the first case, you'll need a relay to change the polarity of the defroster output. In the second case you can connect the wire directly, program it for "pulsed" and it should work.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic