remote start, 2001 suburban

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevenje98 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2009 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
IB-GMBP Bypass.
( Omega IB-GMBP- DB-Pass23A ) This is what is printed on the bypass unit lable.
Alarm Audiovox 997a
The Tach is Programmed
Installed in 2001 Suburban -2500
Remote Start works fine with my truck but.. I have few questions about the install. I did the install.
Here is the situation. The AudioVox 997a does have a 2 pin transponder port (+) and (-)   with 3 feature selections. Transponder O/P ( 1- While Remote Start is on – Default) ( 2-During Start ) (3-Until Ign, off)
Ok, the Tach on the alarm is already programmed. The Omega Bypass is all wired up with all connections to Alarm ground, Harness, and connected to the data port pin 2 on the OBDII being last. So I   connected the Omega Bypass to this port with the 2 pin adapter pig-tail provided by Audiovox, this came with the alarm. I hooked this up to the 2 pin port assuming the port provided power to the Omega Bypass. I set the Omega bypass to program, ( Nothing happened It did not program, (Like it was not receiving power). I checked the power on the port with my fluke meter by connecting it to the soldered splices I made before sealing them up with heat shrink tube. I got 12 Volts on the wires to the Omega Bypass unit,but still no programing.
Now I unplugged the pig tail from the unit and decided to make a direct 12V fused connection to the Omega bypass instead of using the 2 pin transponder port on the Audiovox. (The Omega Bypass is not connected to the Audiovox at all now .) The Omega Bypass Did program with 4 flashes. I put the pin back on operating mode.   I hit the remote start button two times with a successful start the first time. I tested the remote start 5 more times , with successful starts each and every time. The Omega works when it has 12 volt continuous power.
What I don’t understand is why it’s not working when connected to the 2 pin Audiovox Transponder O/P port ? It appears to have 12-Volt continuous power outputting at 12-Volts.    Maybe a cold solder joint? I changed the features of the port which did not make a difference.   The 12-Volt continuous power connection from my Aux-Fuse box to the Omega Bypass Remote Start works every time.
All the alarm functions all work, hood \ alarm engine shut-down. Brake pedal shut down, No security light warnings or anything.
Is this Omega Bypass suppose to work with the 2 pin transponder o/p port ?
Excuse me for the long post.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2009 at 5:59 AM / IP Logged  
Audiovox transponder output ports are very basic - red wire is constant power, black is ground-when-running. Note that the ground-when-running input to the bypass is brown, not black.
The black ground input to the bypass needs to be connected to constant ground.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
stevenje98 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2009 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I think i see what your saying.
here is how it's was connected.
Omega Bypass.
Brown ---- to Audiovox unit Light Blue wire. Ground O/P while running.
Light blue in the manual states this is the GWR.
Orange 12V Constant--- Audiovox Transponder O/P (+)
Black---- Audiovox Transponder ) O/P (-)
Violet Data-------- Truck Pin 2 ODB II Port
So, I should just move the Omega Black . to a constant Chassis ground ? thus move it out of the transponder port to a constant chassis ground. then only the Red wire will be connected at the transponder port.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2009 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
Exactly right, though if you like you can use the black wire from the transponder port as your GWR. Audiovox instruction manuals are lousy, but I've installed many of them using the transponder port that way. I think it's better to save the ignition 3 wire for some other use that might come up, though obviously it's not necessary in your case.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
stevenje98 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2009 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  
The bypass is now hooked up to the Audiovox port now. Start was smooth on first try. I did a test drive and everything works like a charm. Then the snow came... finished just in time.   
You are so right. The Audiovox manual is a such hard read and not written well. I did find more than a few mistakes in there programming section. Audiovox sent me an email a few days ago after I registered ; asking me to submit any thing I found wrong with the manual. I think I'll just snail mail the the entire manual to them marked up in red ink. I think they got the message from all the pro installer complaints and want to change the manual and are looking for suggestions for re-print.
Otherwise it's solid alarm with the most features I ever seen on an alarm unit. Nice solid remotes and they give 2 of them.
Thanks Again Chris.
Have a Merry Christmas
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 23, 2009 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
Good luck!
I've been installing Audiovox for eight years now, and while I think their products are some of the best, their manuals are the worst I've ever seen.
I tried talking with their tech support guys, seeing if they have any interest in having someone write a decent manual for them, and I got nowhere.
I'd imagine they must get a lot of returns where the product is OK, but was just installed improperly because of the manual----I would think a good manual would easily pay for itself in reduced returns.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic