the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Best Method for Terminating Unused Wires?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2009 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  

Thats exactly how I do it - kind of hard to explain.

I don't have a set limit of how many wires to include.  I think in the installation pictured above I had one group of spares from the main harness taped together and then a second group from the auxilary harnesses taped together (I think the second group is just north of the thick red wire (and north of the thicker black antenna wire). 

Kevin Pierson
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2009 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
i do the same thing as KP, leave all wires a few incheas away from the plug, wrap then up incase i need them later on. and its true, if you need a wire, a slight pull and it comes out perfectly.
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2009 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  

I always do smoketest option 2, at a length of about 6 to 8 inches like others on here, but do like KPierson's idea.  I think I'll give that a shot next alarm I get....

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 23, 2009 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
I use different methods depending what is most convenient at the time and what I think the customer will need in the future. If there are wires that will never be used, I remove them and put it in a box I use for my collection of wire. This way I always have the color I need if I have to extend a wire on another car.
If I think that the customer needs a feature in the future, I leave the wire in place and trim it back to about 6 inches. To insulate I will either strip and crimp a butt connector on so that it is ready to be extended or I turn back about a 1/4 inch over and heatshrink it so the heatshrink can't slip off.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 23, 2009 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
I use the area designed for non-insulated crimps of my crimpers, grip the wire with that section and slide the crimpers to the end of the wire several times.  This extends the insulation well beyond the end of the wire.  Nothing to get in the way of anything.
X2
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
shafferny 
Copper - Posts: 240
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 5:55 AM / IP Logged  
  • Bend the end of the wire over.
  • Slide a piece of heat shrink over the wire, but not all the way down. You want to leave the heat shrink sticking up past the wire.
  • Shrink the tubing.
  • Immediately after shrinking the tubing(while it's still warm and flexible) moisten your fingers and pinch the end shut.

This will completely insulate the end of the wire and the heat shrink locked in place so it won't fall off. I can post pics if anyone would like.

x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
^ I would actually like to see pics if you don't mind?
ssbowtie1 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
I just depinned the wires that that I didn't use. You have diagrams available if you need to add a wire you removed before and all you have to do is plug the pin back in if/when needed.
shafferny 
Copper - Posts: 240
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2010 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
  • Bend the end of the wire over.

Best Method for Terminating Unused Wires? - Page 2 -- posted image.

• Slide a piece of heat shrink over the wire, but not all the way down. You want to leave the heat shrink sticking up past the wire.

• Shrink the tubing.
  • Immediately after shrinking the tubing(while it's still warm and flexible) moisten your fingers and pinch the end shut.

This will completely insulate the end of the wire and the heat shrink locked in place so it won't fall off.

monty862 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2010 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
I really like Shafferny's technique. But I carefully depin the harness and save the wires in case I'll use them later. I like the fact that I have less bulk to deal with and loom.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic