icon

09 dodge challenger , viper 5902

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lowellb 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I've been looking at various instruction sets, and think I've gotten myself confused. So need some guidance.

As the subject line says, this is a Viper 5902 install in an 09 Dodge Challenger(automatic) and I've got an Xpresskit CHALL bypass for the D2D capability. I've been looking at the Viper 5901 install instructions (supposedly same as 5902) which essentially says it is D2D compatible and that's all. So now going to the Xpresskit CHALL instruction set; page 3 provides instructions for the install option using the D2D cable and the T harness that hooks up with the OEM harness. The D2D cable and T harness connections are straight forward.

On the left side of page three, there are a set of CHALL bypass 'CONN. 2' (dashed lines) wiring callouts labelled as '1-way', along with a solid line for ignition which connect to the the appropriate wires on the 5902. I guess what has me confused a bit is the significance (if any) of the dashed versus solid lines. Dashed lines are labelled as output of the bypass and the solid (ignition) is the only input to the bypass. Is that all that it is telling me? I assume these connections do need to be made?

Page 3 (once again for the D2D case) of the bypass instructions seems to indicate that a 5902 battery connection only needs to be made if there are positive park lights or another high current output is used. There is no callout for a 5902 ground connection. Page 4 of the bypass instructions (non D2D case) does have callouts for connecting the 5902 to power and ground. So now going back to my case (page 3 for the D2D install), does that mean that the 5902 gets power and ground through the CHALL bypass via the T harness and OEM harness?

Page 3 of the CHALL instructions shows a wire coming out of the alarm/RS going to the parking lights. I would guess that the parking lights are mux'd on this vehicle? What sized resistor should be used in the 5902? Which polarity should the resistor be plugged into?

Finally, is there a wiring diagram available for the car? Alldata would be the only one I can think of.

Thanks, - Lowell

05gt 
Silver - Posts: 628
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2009 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

for parklights you can get the wire in the passenger kick panel in the harness running to the rear of the car, it is WHITE/ purple and it is Positive, set your alarm brain for positive parklights

in your case you are wiring this in 2 way D2D which means you have no connections to make to the car from the CHALL, just use the T-harness that is supplied

you need 12 volt wires from the viper brain these are in the same harness as the parklights in the passenger kick panel, the colors are RED / white and they are thicker gauage

you need ground from the viper brain, plus the BLACK/ white nuetral safety wires also gets grounded, plug in the neutral safety and switch it to on

next program bypass, program tach and you are done

lowellb 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2009 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply 05gt.

I've been working on the car & alarm in bits and pieces when I need a break from doing some tile work in the kitchen. Yesterday, I plugged all the boxes together on the car (no parklights, 12v, or ground) just to see what would work. The 5902's remote would drive the door locks (also got parklight flash), but when trying to start, I got a remote start unavailable message. I think I need to go into the menus and set something to get the remote start to be available and then ground the neutral safety wire (currently have it hooked to the E-brake status signal coming out of the CHALL).

Thanks for the pointers on the parklight wiring. If I don't hit any major road blocks in the kitchen, I should be able to find the time to go out and make the other 4 connections that I'm missing.

Thanks,

Lowell

05gt 
Silver - Posts: 628
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2009 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

the neutral safety wire out of the brain needs to go to ground because you have an automatic car, plug in the little 2 pin connector that has the toggle switch on it

the parklights will work only on lock and unlock with these cars, but you need to hook the parklight wire up from the viper brain for them to work during remote start

the default setting for the new DEI stuff is manual mode, you have an automatic so you need to change that setting in the programming options

I can't remember if default for tach is virtual or connection, make sure it is on tach connection for this car and then program

any other questions just ask

lowellb 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2009 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

I think I have all electrical connections made. Thanks for the wiring IDs 05gt, that saved me a bunch of time.

I can't figure out how to get into program mode tho to switch it to an automatic. When I try the remote start, I get the park lites to flash 7 times and the remote start unavailable message. I get the siren chirp when arming and disarming the system. I cannot get the recognition chirp from the alarm when I press and hold the valet switch when trying to get into programming mode tho. I'll keep reading through the 5901 manual and do some more searches on the web.

In case any other do-it-yourselfer checks this thread out, I think I found an acceptable firewall passthru for the siren wire. I ended up going through where the shift cable goes through the firewall, just above and to the right of the steering passthru. There is a foam donut that can be pushed out on the on the engine side of the firewall, then I poked a hole in the rubber boot that is on the driver side of the firewall. I slid the wire between the donut ID and the shift cable, then pushed it through the boot, and then slid the donut back into the boot. I tried several other locations, but it seems most of the passthroughs have multiple seals.

Lowell

avengergt 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2010 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
lowellb wrote:

I think I have all electrical connections made. Thanks for the wiring IDs 05gt, that saved me a bunch of time.

I can't figure out how to get into program mode tho to switch it to an automatic. When I try the remote start, I get the park lites to flash 7 times and the remote start unavailable message. I get the siren chirp when arming and disarming the system. I cannot get the recognition chirp from the alarm when I press and hold the valet switch when trying to get into programming mode tho.

Lowell

Did you get the system to go into program mode? I'm having all the same problems that you're having. I have an 09 Challenger R/T w/ manual transmission. Can't get remote start to work, and I can't get into programming mode.
Thanks
lowellb 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2010 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

I just put this together for one of the guys on the Challengertalk forum. Hope it may help you out also. The connection to the Viper's H3 harness was what I needed to get into programming mode. My PC is on the verge of crashing, so I may not be able to make timely responses.

Ok, found my notes. I still haven' finished up my install all of the way, I still have to add the proximity sensor and back up battery, and I still have a little trim to put back on in the driver's area.

On the alarm's H1 harness:
Pin 2 was to car +12v
Pin 3 to siren
Pin 5 to car ground
Pin 7 to CHALL Conn 2 white wire
Pin 8 to CHALL Conn 2 green wire
Pin 11 to car parking09 dodge challenger , viper 5902 -- posted image. light circuit
On the alarm's H209 dodge challenger , viper 5902 -- posted image. harness:
Pin 9 to CHALL Conn 2 pink wire
Pin 15 to alarm's hood pin switch
Pin 17 to CHALL Conn 2 orange wire
Pin 18 to car ground
On the alarm's H309 dodge challenger , viper 5902 -- posted image. harness:
Pin 1 to CHALL yellow wire
The H3 connection was my problem in not being able to get into programming mode. Once I figured that one out (had some help) at least I could get into programming mode.
I bought the Mopar09 dodge challenger , viper 5902 -- posted image. hood pin and plugged that in to the OEM harness, hoping that I could pick up that signal through the car's canbus with no success. So I had to install the alarm's hood pin.

Lowell

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic