icon

RF Subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AL4^RuNNer 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2003 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  

I was wondering if anyone had an previous experience with Rockford Fosgate 12 subwoofers model number RFZ2412. I can't seem to get much good sound out of them. I have another set of RFP3412 that sound a lot better. I understand that these are a step down from those but I should get resonably good sound, Right? Maybe. I have them running their correct power recommendations which is 100 watts rms, and 200 wats max. But they still sound kind of dingy.. I really like the other RF's (3412's).But these are kinda agravating me. I have tried them in a sealed box. I have ordered a bandpass box which should arrive tommorow. I am going to try them in that maybe it will help. I paid like 80.00 a piece bucks for these ones from Crutchfield. A couple months ago and haven't really had time to mess with them until recently.  Any suggestions that might help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry.......
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
I am currently running 2 RFP3412's, and have had no problems with them. I know you were asking about the RFZ's, not the RFP's, so.... I have heard the RFZ's before but was not impressed with them. That series is probably one of the worst subs in Rockford's line (at least in my opinion). I've run my RFP's in sealed, bandpass, and ported enclosures and gotten excellent response with them all. I am currently running them in a sealed enclosure, and am hitting around 142db
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
AL4^RuNNer 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
Yes I had bought the RFZ's for one of my other cars and am not to impressed with their sound. I am hoping they will sound a little better in the bandpass box. I have failled to recieve it yet it was backordered so it won't arrive until the 10th. I guess I just have had so much RF equip in the past I just took their products for granted. But I kind of didn't expect much when I unpacked them. But I'll let you kow how they turn out.
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 6:09 AM / IP Logged  
i also have had these subs and was very dissapointed in their output. RF usually makes high-end products but they must have dropped the ball on this line of production. i have yet to run them in a bandpass box, but i will do that today and let ya'll know how that works out.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
Yea the punch z subs aren't all that great compared to the HE and HE2s.  Find the right box for them and they will sound alright, but nothing spectacular.
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
If you notice the punch z's are a major seller at Best Buy for a real cheap price so that tells you that they are pretty much bottom of the line but alot of kids see the rockford name and buy them up thinking they got a killer deal on some rockfords. Then they grow up and get educated on car audio and realize that if you want good quality higher end stuff you arent going to go to best buy to get it!! Either way they should do ok, back when i first started messing around with car audio i had an old series 1 12" rf and it did pretty good, but that was back then when i think rockford had alot better quality to there products then nowadays, just my opinion.
Turbotom 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
i work at best buy. Best Buy doesn't sell all crap. Just mostly crap. I currently have one 12" HE and am very happy. I totally agree with tdsteele. Our best selling sub is the RFZ. People are just buying their name. Thier sound is weak and flat. The happiest cutomers with these subs own trucks. The small cab of the truck compensates for the lack of output from these subs.
AL4^RuNNer 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
Yes I also believe RF maybe dropped their standards on these subs. I am going to try them for a little while in the Bandpass box when i get it. They are going in a 2000 honda accord coupe. I will probably end up tossing them later on. Originally I had planned on buying some PolK Audio 12's but they were out of stock thats why I purchased the RF's. So I may try them next. I have heard decent stuff on the MOMO series.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic