icon

3 speaker car audio system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ejenner 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2009 at 3:02 AM / IP Logged  

Hello, I have a classic car and I like to have a car stereo but I don't want to ruin the car by cutting big holes in parcel shelf or door cards.   The car has space for some very small 13cm speakers in the doors with proper grills provided by the manufacturer. 

Obvously those tiny speakers will only do well with mid-range and trebble.  I'd like to add a bit of bass to the system.  I don't want to spend a lot of money and I'm not a bass junkie. I just want a stereo good for playing the crap pop music I like to listen to. I don't really want to buy a new amp, I'd rather use the one inside the stereo.  So I want a really small bass speaker and I guess I can use an external cross-over unit to split the signal from the stereo to the different speakers.

I'd like some recommendations for good ways to try to achieve what I'm after.  I can't use a lot of space either.  Probably a 6-inch sub if possible.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2009 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
There are small add-on powered subwoofer systems that might be right up your alley from companies like Bazooka and MTX and Infinity.    These are easy to add on to an existing system and require a minimum of wiring and no modification to the vehicle.
Support the12volt.com
ejenner 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2009 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

Erm, guess you mean something in a box in the boot?  I don't want anything like that.  Have you got any links or pictures to the sort of thing you were thinking of?

Even though bass is non-directional so shouldn't matter if the bass speaker is in the boot, I still think that isn't what I'm looking for.  I want a small bass speaker in the front of the car.  There is a space for a large single speaker in the original centre console.  I'd like to put it there, or hide it under the dash behind the centre console. 

This idea is meant as a cheat to get a balanced sound from a system using a small number of small speakers to avoid minimal / invisible modification to the original interior of the car.  Think about those small speaker systems made to work with computers which still produce a reasonable sound even though they're tiny.  I'm looking to replicate that sort of setup in a car. 

If I could, I would just cut some big holes in the parcel shelf and wack in a set of 6x9's instead.  But like I say, trying to do it without cutting up the car.

paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

You could use something like the Aura bass shaker, or butt kicker.  Believe they are basically a servo driver.  Just a motor, they don't have all the parts of a speaker, and don't require an enclosure.  I've not used either in a car. I  have experience with the larger servo drivers in a pro audio set up, but they are a little different.  Huge motors and they do use an enclosure. 

I believe the butt kicker or bass shaker are gonna give the feel of bass than the sound.   Either way having sub bass and just basically tweeters is not gonna yield very good sound.  Might look into custom kick panels or something to get some full range speakers in that thing.  You could use these without nearly any modification to the vehicle, and they would be much better for sound quality. 

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
If you want better bass you can mount any woofer in the space in your center console and power it from an amplifier or from one of the rear outputs of your head unit.  Just find a woofer that will fit.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic