icon

memory fuse shorting out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jogie 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
ok, what do I do about power control (remote start ?) because wouldn't wiring it directly to the battery drain it?
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
Not sure of the question...All radios have a constant 12volt source...This is what holds memory...So unless there is a problem with the radio shutting off...It will work as it always did...Minus the fuse blowing...! The wire it is attached to now is 12 volts even when key is off...otherwise everytime you start the car you would have to reset the bass/treble settings as well as all the presets...etc...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
It is actually the red wire on the stereo that powers up with the key and tells the radio to turn on...Yellow wire is constant...Red wire is Accessory...! So connect the yellow(as mr. i stated) to the lead that you run to the battery...Make sure you fuse it...Otherwise that wire will burn from battery to stereo if ever there is a problem...About 6 inches'ish from where you make the connectiopn at the battery...Cut the wire in two...Crimp on an insulated female spade on each side of the cut wire...Push the blade/automotive fuse in each slot...Good to go....! Just to be safe...Make the fuse holder and put it in-line before making connection...! It is very important that the fuse is a close as possible to the connection at the battery...Dont put the fuse on the inside of the car...But ONLY a couple inches from the battery!!!!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
jogie 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
From the radio, there is a 12v switched and a 12v constant lead. I just attach the new wire to the constant supply, and not the switched?
And let me get this straight, even if the car is running and memory fuse is blown, the radio still won't turn on...even though it has 12v coming from the switched supply?
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
Correct...It needs both Accessory and constant to turn on...Just having one will not turn the radio ON...The switched should be fine...You can verify this with a meter...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
If you were to put both the yellow and red leads to this wire(the one you are going to run from the battery)...Then YES...the battery would drain because the radio would never shut-off...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
But it sounds like the constant wire(yellow) is the only one your having an issue with...Right...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
jogie 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
I think thats the only one I'm having problems with. I will verify with a meter, run the new wire and post back if that doesn't fix it.
Thanks everyone!
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

jogie wrote:
ok, what do I do about power control (remote start ?) because wouldn't wiring it directly to the battery drain it?

I still didnt follow this question...Or does it not matter now...?

M.E.C.P & First-Class
jogie 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
I see now. I've realized that the 12v switched is what turns the radio on.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic