icon

int sl/python no parking light activity

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smoketest 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2010 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  

Did an install of INT-SL + python 991 RS into a 2000 chevy cavalier. And have the following questions. ( Back ground: INT-SL instructions: I used the w/o data-link wiring application schematic #1. The car does not have pwr doors or truck so I only hooked up INT-SL: pink(+ign, input), blue(-run, input), purple(+obd2, output), pink/blk(-park light, input), org/blk(~tach, outout)

The car does remote start but have following issues and questions.....

1) I connected the python parking light out(H1/11 wht, w/fuse config for (-) parking light output). I tied the python parking light output(wht) to the INT-SL pink/blk (-) trigger input. I was expecting that the INT-SL would receive parking light request from python and the INT-SL would communicate that to car via OBD2(pin2 purple) which would in turn flash the parking lights. But I am getting NO parking light activity during lock/unlock/start etc. (car does not have pwr door locks but I am using lock/on lock RS function as a parking light debug aid).I can hear the parking light relay in python activating and when I measure(DVM) the wht wire I can see +12v dropping to gnd which to me at least indicates that the python is making the requests, but the INT-SL & car are not responding. The programming process of the INT-SL seemed to have worked and I have measured proper +12v/gnd at the INT-SL connector.

Are my assumptions about how it is suppose to work correct? I am stuck and need some ideas on how to debug this.

2) What exactly is the signal on the OBD2 purple wire suppose to look like? Is that some sort of digital communication protocol that requires an o-scope or can I debug that line with a DVM?

3) What is the tack signal(org/blk) output of the INT-SL suppose to look like. Is it analog ac, analog dc, or digital PWM? Is it full rail 0 to 12v swings? The reason I ask is that when I pgm the python for tach mode instead of "virtual tach" the starter never disengaged indicating to me that it didnt see a proper tach from INT-SL.

4) In general how can I confirm that the INT-SL is actually doing anything correctly and is talking to the car and/or python?

smoketest 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2010 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry about the orig post format, lets try this again...

Did an install of INT-SL + python 991 RS into a 2000 chevy cavalier.

From the INT-SL install instructions I used the w/o data-link wiring application schematic #1.
The car does not have pwr doors or truck so I only hooked up...
INT-SL: pink(+ign,input), blue(-run,input), purple(+obd2), pink/blk(-park light,input), org/blk(~tach,output).

The car does remote start but, now I have the following issues/questions.

1)I config the python parking light out(H1/11 wht, w/fuse config for (-) parking light output).

I tied the python wht to the INT-SL pink/blk (-) trigger input.
I was expecting that the INT-SL would receive parking light request from python
and the INT-SL would communicate that to car via OBD2(pin2 purple) which would than turn on/flash parking lights.
But I am NOT getting any parking light activity during lock/unlock/start etc. (car does not have pwr door locks
but I am using lock/unlock RS function as a parking light debug aid).I can hear the parking light relay
in python activating and when I measure(DVM) the wht wire I can see +12v dropping to gnd which seems to
indicate that the python is making the requests but the INT-SL & car are not responding.
The programming process of the INT-SL seemed to have worked and I have measured proper +12v/gnd at the INT-SL connector.

Are my assumptions about how it is suppose to work correct?

I am stuck and need some ideas on how to debug this.

2)What exactly is the signal on the OBD2 purple wire suppose to look like?

Is that some sort of digital communication protcol that requires an o-scope to see?

3)What is the tack signal(org/blk) out of the INT-SL suppose to look like.

Is it analog ac, analog dc, or digital PWM? Is it partial or full rail 0->12v swings?
The reason I ask is that when I pgm the python for tach mode instead of default "virtual-tach"
the starter never disengaged indicating to me that it didnt see a proper tach from INT-SL.

4) How can I confirm that the INT-SL is actually doing anything correctly and talking to the car and/or python?

smoketest 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2010 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

smoketest wrote:

Did an install of INT-SL + python 991 RS into a 2000 chevy cavalier.

From the INT-SL install instructions I used the w/o data-link wiring application schematic #1.
The car does not have pwr doors or truck so I only hooked up...
INT-SL: pink(+ign,input), blue(-run,input), purple(+obd2), pink/blk(-park light,input), org/blk(~tach,output).

The car does remote start but, now I have the following issues/questions.

1)I config the python parking light out(H1/11 wht, w/fuse config for (-) parking light output).

I tied the python wht to the INT-SL pink/blk (-) trigger input.
I was expecting that the INT-SL would receive parking light request from python
and the INT-SL would communicate that to car via OBD2(pin2 purple) which would than turn on/flash parking lights.
But I am NOT getting any parking light activity during lock/unlock/start etc. (car does not have pwr door locks
but I am using lock/unlock RS function as a parking light debug aid).I can hear the parking light relay
in python activating and when I measure(DVM) the wht wire I can see +12v dropping to gnd which seems to
indicate that the python is making the requests but the INT-SL & car are not responding.
The programming process of the INT-SL seemed to have worked and I have measured proper +12v/gnd at the INT-SL connector.

Are my assumptions about how it is suppose to work correct?

I am stuck and need some ideas on how to debug this.

I just finished a study of the electrical schematics for the 2000 cavalier. At this point I do not think that the OEM parking light circuits was ever connected into any of the on board computers(BCM, PCM, OBD, etc). The ckt appears to be a simple manual on/off switch with no BCM interlocks.  And hence I do not think that the Fortin INT-SL module ever had any hope of controlling them via OBDII link. I really don't know why the Fortin install documentation(specific for this car) listed the parking light trigger control as a required connection. I have since disconnected the python parking light output from the INT-SL. I than converted the python parking light ckt back to (+) output via fuse pgm and tied it directly into the cars parking light wiring . The parking lights are now being properly activated by python. I have left forwarded these notes to Fortin.

smoketest 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2010 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
smoketest wrote:

3)What is the tack signal(org/blk) out of the INT-SL suppose to look like.

Is it analog ac, analog dc, or digital PWM? Is it partial or full rail 0->12v swings?
The reason I ask is that when I pgm the python for tach mode instead of default "virtual-tach"
the starter never disengaged indicating to me that it didnt see a proper tach from INT-SL.

Follow-up:

I now think that the tach-output from the Fortin INT-SL is working because after doing python "tach learn" and programming it to use tach mode I was able to remote start and confirmed that an over-rev induced a shut down. Since "virtual-tach" mode does not shut down for over-rev, I conclude that python is getting tach info from INT-SL. But the stater is still engaged a little longer than I like and in fact I almost think that virtual-tach mode was doing a better job of starter disengage than INT-SL tach mode. But I really don't want virtual-tach because it lacks over-rev protection. I might experiment with some of the python setting for stater disengage times and/or dump the INT-SL tach and connect into the one of the injectors. Anyone have any experience or recommendations with INT-SL tach?

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2010 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  
if you do a search up on CAN-SL, i wrote a review about the units. I would just use a tach on the car itself, only because the tach is intermittent AND there is a delay between communucation of the car to the can, to the rs unit.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
smoketest 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

Hi tedmond...

I now have the python991 RS tach wire tied directly into the car instead of the Fortin INT-SL. The starter now disengages much sooner and cleaner than it did with the INT-SL computer tach output. Lesson learned.... need a real tach signal.  Hopefully some day they will be able to enhance the RS/car/computer digital interface tach and thus eliminate the requirnment for engine tach hook-up while still providing over-rev shut down. I dislike the alternative voltage/virtual-tach for other reasons not least of which is the lack of over-rev shut-down. 

smoketest 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
errrr.... thought I was done. But as a final test I just check for over-rev shut down and it did NOT shut down. I double check that python is in tach mode and it is. The python learned the tach signal just fine and the starts a clean, but no over-rev shut down. What's odd is that when I had the tach line tied into the INT-SL it  WAS doing over-rev shut down. When I disconnected for the INT-SL I tied the tach line onto the 2000 cavalier at the ppl/wht wire located at the coil/distributor/ignition assembly in accordance with a wire-out spec sheet I had. I should have traced out one of the injectors for a tach. Any ideas?
joebubba 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
This diagram says the tach wire is white:
2000 chevy cav wiring info
smoketest 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

Hi joebubba... thats interesting. The chart I have said ppl/wht and I found a ppl/wht at the ignition control module(ICM) on this 2.2L OHV. However I note that there is also a wht wire on that same connector at the ICM. Do you know if the wht listed in your reference as being in the front wire harness is the same wht that terminates at the ICM?

joebubba 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2010 at 5:58 AM / IP Logged  
No, sorry, don't have a clue. Just wanted to point out that there was a discrepancy on which wire was the tach wire.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic