2008 rav4 transponder

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jjcobm 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2010 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
Hello everyone,
I am planning on installing a Zenesis 502 alarm in my wife's 08 RAV4. I have a lot of knowledge about cars, but security systems are a new thing I will be working with. I noticed while searching on here that this particular RAV4 has a transponder key. When looking at the wiring chart for the car, I noticed it says the blue wire bypasses the factory alarm to allow remote starting:
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=101701
Would this mean if I used this wire with my alarm installation that I will not need a transponder bypass module to use remote starting, or is that irrelevant and I will still need a bypass module?
Sorry to sound so dumb 2008 rav4 transponder - Last Post -- posted image. but would anyone be able to help me get the information straight? Besides that, it seems like it is pretty straight forward to get this working...
Thanks for the help!
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 04, 2010 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
You're not dumb, those tech sheets are. They list plenty of erroneous information.
KEYSENSE: This wire is to disarm the content-theft alarm, the one that would beep the horn when someone breaks in..........except pretty much every RAV4 on the road doesn't have a content-theft alarm anyway. I think I've seen one, only one, that came from the factory with an alarm in it.
BYPASS MODULE: Most RAV4s didn't have a transponder until 2009.
Does yours have manual or automatic climate controls? (It's the Limited that has the automatic controls.)
Also, sit in the car, with the engine off and key out. Do you see a red flashing light anywhere on the dash?
jjcobm 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2010 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
It has manual climate controls and it is the "sport" model. I will check on the light when I get access to the car as she is away at the moment...
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 05, 2010 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  
OK, then I don't think you have any transponder or anything.
But, if you prefer to test:
TRANSPONDER: Wrap head of key in aluminum foil, try to start engine. If engine starts, you don't have transponder.
CONTENT THEFT ALARM: Open a window. Close hood, tailgate, and all four doors. Lock doors with factory Toyota remote. Leave car undisturbed for at least 30 seconds.
Reach in through open window (pretend you broke the window like a thief might), open the door by hand, and see if any alarm sounds.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic