icon

is my alarm dead

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
colin12 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2010 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

Hey the other night my car was parked outside my parents house. the back triangle window was smashed which cause my alarm to go off my parents couldnt find my keys to turn the alarm off and it was late at night so they thought it was a good idea to open the bonnet and cut the wires going to the siren. I think when they did this they must have shorted it or something because now when i connect the siren it doesnt work using a multi metter shows that the positive alarm wire is constantly out putting 12v

any suggestions about a way to fix this? or should i just buy a new alarm thanks

number2 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2010 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
Door locks, tail light flash, status LED or any response at all from the alarm? What are you getting off the siren wire with the meter?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2010 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
Make of car and more important, the alarm. Rejoin and check your fuses. Certain alarms such as Clifford Cat l alarms have a separate fuse for the siren.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2010 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

Dead? Was it alive, that would be of greater concern to me! LOL!

Make of vehicle and equipment please, as said by Howard!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
colin12 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  

my car is a 1998 mitsibithi lancer the alarm is a dominator dm-1285(not very common cant find much about it online) everything else on the alarm works fine except sometimes the door lock and unlock randomly(only with the ignition on). when the alarm is set of the indicators still flash and my pager goes off the siren just doesnt go off. the positive siren wire is constantly at 12v now makes a click sounf when connected to the siren when its first connected other then that it does nothing the voltage sometimes drops when the alarm is set off. i have tried a diffrent siren thats not the problem there are 3 fuses to the alarm have checked them all they are fine the siren doesnt have tis own fuse. have disconnected everything then reconnected made no diffeerence

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
Bench test the siren...Just touch positive lead to the positive battery terminal and the negative to the negative terminal...You just have upgraded to a silent alarm...Like the banks...Its now up to you to scare the theif away...element of surprise...! How did you check the output of the siren...Which leads of dmm to what...? It seems...unless the siren is toast...That if you are getting a constant output...The siren should be going off...Maybe they tried to pull the wires first and then cut...Maybe re-check the connections...The ground also...It only goes off for a minute...Wondering how they found cutters,the keys,walked out to the car,popped the hood and cut the siren in under a minute...Unless it was your parents breaking in the car ...!is my alarm dead -- posted image.
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
number2 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
Check your neg siren wire and make sure its connected at a good ground.
Connect the siren directly to the battery to test it.
Im not understanding your explanation about the siren wire. It should have 12+ while the alarm is sounding or going off. It should be at 0 volts the rest of the time. If its other than that I say your alarm is fried.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
Either the siren has failed or the siren driver in your alarm has failed.
Early Cliffords up to G4 used a NEG to feed the Siren, everyone else uses POS and the black lead on the siren is grounded. Some makes e.g. Clifford Medallion used the siren as a speaker, here you will have 2 wires the same colour.
Bench test the siren, if it fails, substitute, they are quite cheap.
From what you've written I'm guessing an internal short on the siren.
colin12 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2010 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
I have tested the siren when connected to the battery it works fine. the alarm  only has a positive out put for the siren which is constant at 12v and the siren is grounded to the car
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2010 at 2:43 AM / IP Logged  
Are you telling me that the siren works on the test bench but 1 side of the siren was meant to be grounded whilst the other cable was pos switched?
Are there two wires going from the alarm or more?
I find your comment about "Only has a positive output which is CONSTANT at 12v " somewhat strange, that would make your siren sound continuously!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic