icon

power issue? on 2 jl 13w7's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tjtinter 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

I have a friend with 97 Tahoe and he's having issues with his JL system. I've worked in a car audio shop for 10+ years and have experienced really crazy car audio issues but none like this one. I hooked up a major system in my friends Tahoe and i'm not getting any results. He's got a Pioneer head unit, an Alpine 4 channel amp and two JL 13W7's, powered by 2 JL 1000 by 1 amps, 2 batteries, (one is a Kinetik), an upgraded altenator, 0 gauge power and ground wiring, 4 gauge to the 10farad cap, and from there to the amps. Well, from there here's the problem. When trying to hear some serious bass, the subs cut out off and on, the lights dim and sometimes the amp for the highs cuts out too. What's crazy is when the highs cut out the subs stay on, but when the subs cut out the highs stay on, and sometimes they both cut out all together. I've checked this system out with a magnifying glass, so to speak. And I can't figure out the cause. Everything is wired up and hooked up professionally. I have upgraded the remote wire with a relay to handle all three amps too. The batteries are checking out as "Good" also. There is no way that this system should have any problems. I would greatly appreciate any ideas on what to check or what to do next. I will add any other info on the equipment if needed. Help Help Help.

Thanks

Veteran Installer  TJ

@lw@yz$uited
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
Whats the voltage dropping to at the starting battery and at the amps...? Then at the secondary battery and so on...I see you have an upgraded alternator...Have you upgraded "The Big 3" wires yet...? Is it going into protection or totally shutting off...? Have you checked your grounds with a meter...? Just throwing out some starting points...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tjtinter 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah i've upgraded "The Big 3" and i've checked all the current draws with the truck running. At every connection point  the voltage reads 13.50volts+  and above. It's just insane!!! Driving me nuts!!!

@lw@yz$uited
fiberglasslvr 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  

Are the amps going into protect, or turning off ? either way i would start trying to isolate the issue ,by eliminating the amps one by one to see if that gets you anywhere. disconnect the sub amps and see if the 4ch still cuts off then disconnect the 4ch and see if the subs cut out. just an idea.

in process of changing everything
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
When checking the voltage as Tommy suggested, the amps need to be playing at a the level just before the sound cuts out. 
tjtinter 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  

The amps don't go into protection mode...they just cut out completely......and I've checked the voltage at the amps when they cut out and it reads.....10.2 volts.....there is no reason why this is happening.....i've checked the amps out of the vehicle and they work great....no cutting out.....this is really driving me nuts!!!!

@lw@yz$uited
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
How did you charge the 10 Farad Cap?
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
awdeclipse wrote:
How did you charge the 10 Farad Cap?
and this would effect ???
tjtinter 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2010 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
Great news....just finished building a new box for the 13 W7's. I've checked and rechecked every part of this system. Even installed it in another vehicle and it worked perfect. I originally installed another system in this same Tahoe about 7 years earlier. And when I checked the 0 gauge power wiring that I ran thru the frame. I noticed that the wiring inside the casing was corroded and had turned green and crusty about 4 feet from the battery. This was the weak point that was causing the power drop. System works great now!!!!
@lw@yz$uited
ben d. 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
so 10.2 volts at the amps when it cuts out was considered to be ok???... healthy running voltage is 14.4....
and the reason he asked about charging the cap is because if it's a doodiety cap and you just charge it by hooking it up without using a charger that limits current input you can cause damage to the caps internal components and cause voltage drops.
2008 Dodge Ram 1500
MECP Certified Advanced Installer CEA 191700

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic