icon

soldering 2 gauge?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maxxx 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, I am running new wires from the battery back, 2 gauge, and I would like to terminate the 2 gge with a ring terminal. Any advice on soldering the terminal on? Should I just crimp on, then heat up best I can, and hold solder to it til it takes? Or is there such a thing as brush-on solder paste that would make the application more effective? I know that it can be difficult to solder 2 gge because it is so thick and absorbs so much heat. TIA
destination moon
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2010 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
Definitely crimp first.
Then solder - if that is possible or desirable.
DO NOT solder and then crimp (or not crimp)!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 09, 2010 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
It will take a torch of some sort.  Do not apply heat to the wire itself, apply the heat to the back side of the ring terminal.  If you heat the wire it will oxidize and not solder well.  It will not take a large torch, Radio Shack sells one for 20 dollars.  You will have to buy fuel elsewhere.  Or lowe's sells one for 15 dollars with a small can of fuel.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2010 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
A big soldering iron works fine! Just as Mr idiot said, apply the heat to the back of the terminal and allow the ring to heat up, the start to apply solder it should melt easily and coat the entire ring and copper!
JW.ORG.
COMMIT YOUR WAY TO JEHOVAH AND HE WILL ACT IN YOUR BEHALF.
PSALMS 37:5
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 09, 2010 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
When he says a large iron, It will have to be one of the following
120 Watt
175 watt
Both of the above items are Weller products.
necessaryevil 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2010 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
i just use a walmart brazing torch, the kind used for soldering copper pipe, and good old lead solder(i know,i know its bad for you but i think it works better then the lead/tin mix or even the silver solder)
time is not wasted when you are wasted all the time
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2010 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
When he says a large iron, It will have to be one of the following
120 Watt
175 watt
Both of the above items are Weller products.
I promise you these will be the best option for you... Much easier to control, and no flame to scorch 4 inches of your insulation, either...
Any good electronics store (i.e. NOT "The Shack") will be able to get these for you, if they don't already have them in stock.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
wolfox 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2010 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
As others have thoughtfully said, I crimped and then soldered my 2 ga. to rings with a plain old plumber's torch on LOW output. Heat the ring, not the wire, touch your electrician's grade solder to the back of the cup and allow the solder to melt into the connection, heat source removed. Works like a charm. :D I then brush the ring clean to remove the oxidized copper after it has *cooled*.
Life is too short to build slow computers or weak audio!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic