icon

trunk hinges

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
iand1234 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2010 at 4:52 AM / IP Logged  
i have a 2003  mazda protege and im instlling a custom box in the. however my trunk hinges drop approx 8 inches when closed. i would like to put in "low profile hinges" or something custom like that so i dont have to build my box with them in mind. for example i dont want to have to build my box with slots in the fiberglass so the trunk will close. are there any hinges out there that would be less obtrusive than the stock ones? if so a link would be nice.
zombies will eat your brains if not decapitaded first
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2010 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  

There aren't any hinges like that that I am aware of and I think that speaks for all if not most of the others here. The hinges are designed to use as little trunk space as possible. Those 8 inches of arc are needed to get the lid safely off the car and give room for you to put your stuff in it.

Your alternative would be to raise the lid on an actuator system and lift it straight up, but now you hve to make room for 4 posts that will rise up and hold the lid.

OH! I just thought of something. You can use a slider along with a pair of heavy duty spring hinges (stress of the heavy) and fabricate something that can do that, that will drop your profile to about 1-1.5" but you'll have to figure out the geometries.

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
iand1234 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2010 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  

all i have to say i wow i would think someone would hove thought of a cheap system fo that. but thanks for the info :) ,mang.  as soon as i get more into the project ill let you see but damn its cold atm, and im an apartment dweller:( my dads garage and basement is my spot( 18 miles thru snow and slush) so im just gathering info for when it gets warm:P

zombies will eat your brains if not decapitaded first

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic