remote start kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brsexton 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2010 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys,
I know soldering is the best method of installing a remote starter system, but I was on crutchfield looking around and found this install kit that looked interesting.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-O7ur3bbtVVD/p_669PP503/Posi-Products-Car-Alarm-Connector-Kit.html
I have read really good reviews about these and they are said to be far superior than any other T-Tap or scotch lock type connector. Do you guys think this may be the next best thing to soldering??
Let me know what you think.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2010 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  
i woldnt use positaps. not for big or small gauge wiring. This isnt go good for high current wires ie ignition, start. Just strip ans solder.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2010 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
Bottom line, over here we aren't even allowed to use Installation Displacement Connectors. They are unsound electrically, bad joint, high contact resistance and of course are unsealed to the elements, also bad mechanically. Frankly the ONLY way to make an electrical join in a car is to strip, solder (let the solder flow into the joint) and if it's a butt connection, use shrink sleeving, pref. adhesive or if a Y connection cover with Scotch 33+.
brsexton 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Bottom line, over here we aren't even allowed to use Installation Displacement Connectors. They are unsound electrically, bad joint, high contact resistance and of course are unsealed to the elements, also bad mechanically. Frankly the ONLY way to make an electrical join in a car is to strip, solder (let the solder flow into the joint) and if it's a butt connection, use shrink sleeving, pref. adhesive or if a Y connection cover with Scotch 33+.
I thought that's what you were going to say. I agree soldering is the best method. I will just have to do a practice run on my soldering skills. Its been a few years since I did it and I don't want to use my car as practice..LOL   How do you guys strip out a small section of wire in the cars harness? I know some use a utility knife, but I didn't know if there was a better way, or a device made for this application. I'd hate to cut too far down and mess up the wire. Thanks for the advice.
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2010 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
I use a pair of sidestrippers. I strip the wire twice, about an inch apart from eachother, and use a razor to slice away the remaining insulation. This gives you a good amount of room to solder.
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2010 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
i do exactly what x1le said. cut the wire twice, and with a shart knife just trim the top of th einsulation, then rip the rest off. I then poke a hole through the wire, wrap then solder. aka military splice.
Ted
Compustar Expert
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2010 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
Don't we all?
tedmond 
Posted: January 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
some prefer just wrapping it around and soldering, then using any electrical tape. Howie, you and I and many others are differant. We use Scotch 33+ ahah.
Ted
Compustar Expert

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic