881xp ignition input wire location?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bruno molly 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2010 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
(IGN+)?
Was at a local independent car lot and talked the guy into selling me a box of alarms they remove from cars before they put them on the lot.
Managed to get an 881XP, an 850XV, an Avital and a couple of other DEI systems like a 550es a 330 somethin ???..Anyway, I have gotten a remote (2way) for the 881XP off of Ebay. I have a Bitwriter which works well. I would like to hook this system up and make sure it works before I go snipping and ripping panels out of my LS400. My question is this...Looking at the wiring diagram for the 881XP,I see the (-) door trigger, +12v Constant, Ground etc.... But what color wire is used for the IGN switch? Is this wire in the same harness as the other main wires (Red, Black, Green etc) or is the IGN wire in another harness location on the brain. Is it the "Ribbon" cable I keep hearing some refer too? Usually the Yellow wire is IGN I think but where the yellow wire is on the harness, it says (Empty-Not Used) according to the Wiring Diagram. ) Also the harness is from another DEI unit but the colors match the drawing in install manual.
I want to test this unit out and program the remote to it before I install it. Please help. Thanks in advance
Bruno
The Sky is not the limit....The Ground is!
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2010 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

I just downloaded the manual off of this very site, and it clearly states that yellow is the (+) ignition input. Remote start primary harness 7 pin. Since you are trying to "mutt" together a system, it's kind of hard to help. Just because it is a DEI harness, doesn not mean it is compatible with all other models. The ribbon cable, you keep hearing about....all of these wires will be (-) outputs. These are used to trigger the relay pack for the remote start. Here is the manual I was looking at.

bruno molly 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2010 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
Yep..same diagram I have. I saw that Remote start harness location.
I saw where it said IGN + But was unsure since it was not in the MAIN harness which I am used to. Need I state too that I am NEW to installing a DEI system even though I have primarily delt with mostly
Alpine, Excalibur, K9 etc. I know the that DEI has always been considered Top Dawg but I have just gotten into the DEI ring.
I have many years of electronic experience in more areas than I care to mention and thought I would ask the Experts even though it clearly stated it in the manual, I wanted to be sure that was the Wire.
There's a whole lotta bomb technicians who can't ask "Is that the right wire" cause they didn't ask........
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2010 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  

Thumbs down on DEI being top dawgs....they make some good stuff, but are even better at buying out the market. There are many brands that are just as good, and some that are even better. Anyways, sorry if I sounded like a jerk, I really wasn't trying to be. Just go by the diagram you have. Wait for it.......this should be fun....LOL..I just put down D.E.I.

bruno molly 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2010 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
ha ha ha...No problem man. Keyboard edicate can come across as a sharp knife or a butterfly. I appreciate you letting me know what was what.
I want to bench test it before i install it. I have read about the problems with alot of the DEI units. I've been installing alarms in my cars and others since the Alpine 8101 keypad unit, Ungo passive unit and when the remote units 1st came out back in the early minitruck days. Just never dealt with Viper because everything was so secretive and protective about programming stuff. We'll see. Who IS the Top Dawg of auto security these days?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2010 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  

every installer will have his or her own preferance. Im big on the compustar products, and when its paired up with a fortin module or an ADS-Blade, i dont see anything that comes close. Now Howie might just jump in and say CLIFFORD (DEI)all the way, and KarTuneMan would say ASTRO(DEI), and Chris AUDIOVOX? i dont remember. anyways my point is all manufactures of alarms/rs have great qualities, range, warrenty, and ease of use. To an installer, whatever unit comes best pre configured AND has most features at a reasonable price, thats what catches our eyes.

all large manufactures of alarms undergo strict testing of the ISO:9001/2000, so they are compliant. so really there is no TOP dog, its just what you really prefer. hope this helps.

Cheers

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
bruno molly 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2010 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
Awwww maaan I know I'm on the right page now. A while back I was looking at a compustar system but I passed on it because I didn't know anything about them. I thought it may be some foreign Knock off. I remember having a Pyramid alarm in a 77 VW Rabbit and I could arm and disarm that puppy from over 100 yds away. That was decent range back then. It was a decent alarm too for the price. Good Info! Thanks!
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2010 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  

The ignition input would be via the yellow wire in the ribbon cable, the pink wire of the xcrs must be connected to the true ignition wire for it to function as it should!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
bruno molly 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2010 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so when I set this thing up on the Bench to program the remote, I will need to have the
Constant 12v + Red
Negative Door trig Green
IGN + Yellow (+) in the rem start harness/connector
Momentary Valet switch
Blue LED
Alarm Siren
I have read the 881XP with the bitwriter and says "O" transmitters programmed. I tried the above setup, got the chirp confimations (7 chirps) Pressed the Lock button on the remote, But It still says "0" transmitters when I read it again. I have Zapped it, and started over again a couple of times but it doesn't seem to want to program. Am I doing something wrong or am I lacking in Setup. I followed the directions to a TEE... Dead Brain? Are these basically Bricks when they won't Key up to the Remote or is there some Diode or Popped transistor inside that won't let it program (extreme case).
thanks
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2010 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure that you have the correct remote to pair with the unit? Also you have to connect ground and the antenna! Have you tried any other combination with the valet switch? The ribbon must also be plugged in to it's relavant port on the brain!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic