icon

how’d you get your start?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kr tony 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
I've been a part of the 12volt industry going on 2 years now, but I've never done installs. I used to work for Best Buy for quite some time and never had a chance to work in the bay, and the company I currently work for doesn't do installations right now.
However, I just talked to the owner of our company yesterday to suggest a new department for us and what does he say??
He wants an aftermarket alarm/remote start, fully functional nav system, and a "kickin" audio system! Ahhh! Kind of overwhelmed but I know he's giving me a chance to pull it off.
This got me thinking though ... how'd you get your start in the 12volt??
-Tony
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Started off as a service tech...Breaking down dashes,prepping alarms/remote starts,tagging all the wires,running antenna(windshield),putting them back up...Then i went to school...Got a couple certifications...That really helps get a foot in the door...Install a remote start on your vehicle...See if a local shop will let you be an intern/service tech/part-time employee...Experience is the most important...Stay up-to-date on electronics...Get magazines,visit websites...Learn how to use a DMM and practice to solder...Honestly it was a friend's devotion and pay scale that really got me geared towards a career in this field...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
kr tony 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
From humble beginnings! LOL
I'm actually humbled that the owner of our company would give me a shot at installations on his personal truck! I've got an Avital 5303L system on the way to put on his 2002 Toyota Tundra.
Next I'm going to put in sound system (of which I know very little about), then a nav system (again, something I know almost nothing about!
I'm confident that from help on this site and my father in law (who's a master electrical engineer), I'll be able to get these tasks accomplished. I have a feeling like this could be my start in the 12volt installations industry! :)
-Tony
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
BatteryWHITE(+)IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
how’d you get your start? -- posted image.Ignition 1BLACK/ RED(+)IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
how’d you get your start? -- posted image.Ignition 2BLACK / YELLOW(+)IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
how’d you get your start? -- posted image.Accessory 1BLUE/RED(+)IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
how’d you get your start? -- posted image.Starter 1GREEN/ BLACK(+)IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
how’d you get your start? -- posted image.Anti-Theft DescriptNONE
how’d you get your start? -- posted image.TachometerBLACK ON 6CYL A(AC)IGNITER LEFT SIDE ENGINE 8CYL INDIVIDUAL
how’d you get your start? -- posted image.Crankshaft SensorGREEN(-)PIN 23 OF E7 ON ECM
how’d you get your start? -- posted image.Camshaft SensorYELLOW(-)PIN 10 OF E7 ON ECM
how’d you get your start? -- posted image.Speed SenseGREEN/ ORANGE(AC)B-22 6CYL, B-5 8CLY AT ECM
how’d you get your start? -- posted image.Parking LightsGREEN(+)DRIVERS KICK PANEL
how’d you get your start? -- posted image.Low Crr. Pk LightsRED / BLACK(-)AT LIGHT SWITCH
how’d you get your start? -- posted image.Brake LightsGREEN / WHITE(+)SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
how’d you get your start? -- posted image.Reverse LightsRED / BLACK(+)5 PIN WHT. CONN.
how’d you get your start? -- posted image.HornGREEN/ RED(-)STEERING COLUMN

So as far as the nav...He is looking for a portable unit? And the sound system...Are you replacing stereo,speakers...Nice set of components and a 10-12 inch woofer would probably be more then enough...Try to get a price range from him...will help out alot with what you can achieve with the budget you have...You will need a 4gauge amp kit...Stereo harness and mounting kit...Lets hard-wire the nav unit...It will then work with the key(on/off) as opposed to using the cig plug...And will make you look cool...Dont rush...Replace the stereo and speakers...Might want to go ahead and look at a 2-way ALARM and R/S unit if he is adding all these toys...

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
kr tony 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
Awesome, thanks for the tips Tommy! I've been working with aftermarket alarms (mostly tech support stuff -- not installing though) for quite some time so I'm pretty familiar to them. However, the nav and stereo system I know almost nothing about.
The Avital 5303L system I've ordered is two way remote start and alarm, so I'm good on that. As far as a budget, he's actually given me one of his personal cards and said to get whatever I'd like! :) A couple of speakers and a good 10"/12" sub would be good. I'm not going for anything really high end since these will be my first installs. As for the nav, he'd like something on the dash (not like a little Tom Tom). :)
I'm really stoked about the opportunity, I just need to soak up and learn as much as I can in these next few weeks. So, that being said, if you've got some cool resources for alarm/remote start/audio/nav training just let me know.
I'm also pretty certain that he'd let me get my MECP certs, and he'd probably pay for that as well!!
-Tony
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
I got my start working on my personal car when I was 15.  After messing around with it for a few years I applied at the local Circuit City.  They liked my application enough to interview me.  During the interview I mentioned that I installed everything in my car in my [parents] driveway.  Once the S&I manager saw my trunk he pretty much offered me a job.
Kevin Pierson
el ranchero 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

I liked to fix car radios, i even tryied to design my own alarm, with a relay that everytime my friends car went over a bump the horn honked, after that my friend that i would fix his car radios started working for a alarm company, they were hiring and he called me up, that is how i started 25 years after im still doing it, but now i own my own company, my advise to any new installers is learn everything and get the most experience u can get,even if u dont get paid for it, later u will be thankful u did, i did the opppssiote i never learn to tint, autostarts,video systems, but now im all caught up, and now i got my own installers, hey good luck with your project, we are all here to help.

rocker
kr tony 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2010 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for sharing guys. I appreciate the help and support also. It's kind of a daunting task (considering I've got strictly entry knowledge about these things), but I know I can pull through it -- especially with the help of the guys and gals on this site!!
Looking forward to completing my project and getting a foot in the door to possibly start up an installation division at the company I currently work for.
Thanks again guys!
-Tony
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2010 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

Best of luck yo ya bro!

I started just being ot of a job, and job hunting i came across a shop hiring, didn't have a clue what i was gonna do, but couple years later, i have a job i've grown to really love, and i've gotten pretty ok at installing if i might say that about myself! lol! Some day i'll acquire the funds to start up on my own, til then it's endless days of 9 to 5 at thebay!  

JW.ORG.
COMMIT YOUR WAY TO JEHOVAH AND HE WILL ACT IN YOUR BEHALF.
PSALMS 37:5
kr tony 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2010 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks man! Hope you can get your own shop one day man, that'd be pretty cool.
My only issue is that there are about 2 other shops around that do installs around (one in my town and one down the road) so the competition's already here ... though it's going to be friendly competition especially considering one of my good buddies works at our local shop! :)
Still really excited though ... I think you guys have already determined that though, so I should probably knock it off, LOL!
-Tony
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic