the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

homemade jl rbc 1 or rf punch boost knob?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
incognyto 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2010 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
Hey there, i was over at my buddy's place and he has a rockford fosgate punch boost knob on his punch amp, either way we had it apart because I know they are super simple, it has a 20k rheostat inside two resistor's and a led.... I'm sure the resistor's and the led are unnecessary. this unit also uses 10base-t network cable connector's with 8 wires inside. I have 2 JL audio 500/1's and they have the phone cord connection, I would like to build one if anyone has the spec's for the rheostat inside and maybe could trace the specific wires that it connect's to on the amp, any info is greatly appreciated, i need one for my amps (1 will control both amps) and my brother need's one so maybe we'll split the difference, i'll post the build here too :)
incognyto 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2010 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
views vs post's mean's I'll just buy it and figure out what we need then post the results here... the rf one is 20k haven't put an ohm meter on it yet though. be back in a while.
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2010 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
Buy a PAC-LC1 and call it a day, $10-$15 RCA knob.
homemade jl rbc 1 or rf punch boost knob? -- posted image.
incognyto 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
good idea, either way I have got some data ... it's a lot cheaper to buy a rheostat w/ knob and a chunk of phone cord or 10base-t networking cable, I'm sure a lot of people on here have the cords laying around the house. I know my deck doesn't really provide the greatest subwoofer level control, so having a bit more with the amp is a great idea in my books.   I have some data hopefully someone can make use of it. I know I will.. I bought the jl audio one for 25 canadian and ripped'er apart.
JL Audio Rbc-1
used only the middle two wires on a phone cord so that style of cord would work.
the rheostat starts at 1.2 ohm and goes up to 11,000 ohm (11Kohm) max.
Rockford Fosgate Punch Boost knob
use's the two middle most wires on a 8 wire 10base-t network cable. the kind that you would use to wire up a wireless router to the modem.
and the volume knob starts at 23,000 ohm (23kohm) and as the knob is turned up the resistance drop's. eventually to 0 at max power db boost.
i'm sure anyone willing to take on this small project would know what wire to use considering the female end is the amp :) i did buy one rheostat from the source, it said 25k on it but ended up being only 25 ohm !! doh!! and it could also be wired to start at 25 and go down as volume turned up or UP when volume turned up.
incognyto 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
the knob seem's to make a HUGE differance. more so with songs that have weak bass. some country songs thump pretty good with this mod.
incognyto 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
well at least i'll have the information when I need it then haha... maybe a retitle of the thread... oh well..

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic