icon

passive crossovers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
01trublugt 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2010 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  

I was hoping someone in here was familiar with passive crossover design and could lend me a hand.

I have a 2nd order high pass passive crossover @ 130hz - 4ohms. If I were to put an 8 ohm load on it instead of 4 what would the crossover fz be??

I plugged the 4ohm and 130hz into the calculator and it told me I should have a 6.9 coil and 216 cap. If I change the data in the calculator from 4ohm to 8ohm and change the fz from 130 to 260 it gives me the same 6.9 coil but the cap drops down to like 77 or somewhere around there. 

I don't need it to be exact, a round about figure will work.

Thanks.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2010 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
A crossover designed for an 4-ohm load will operate at 2X the frequency if loaded at 8-ohms.  So, yur 130Hz @ 4-ohms network will shift to 260Hz @ 8-ohms.
Support the12volt.com
01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the input. Thats what I thought but was not 100% sure.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 16, 2010 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  

On a first order high pass crossover, if designed for a 4 Ohm driver, the crossover frequency will be twice the frequency into an 8 ohm load. 

On a second order crossover, it appears that the cap is proportional in one direction, where as the inductor is proportional in the opposite direction.  I have no idea what the outcome will be if the 8 ohm driver is connected to the second order crossover designed for the 4 ohm driver.  My guess is a non linear crossover.

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross2ohm.asp

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross4ohm.asp

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross8ohm.asp

01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  

Rather than make a new post I figured I would put the question here.

When building or buying a passive crossover should I figure on the ohm load of the speaker or the overall ohm load that the amp would see.

For example I am planning to run 2 4ohm speakers in series to produce an 8 ohm load. If I plan to put the X-over between the amp and the first speaker should I base the X-over on the speakers 4 ohm impendance or should I base it on the overall 8ohm load that the speakers will be producing once they are wired in series?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
The Xover network is designed for the specific speaker attached to each filter band.  If you have two 4-ohm speakers in series, the Xover for that band would be for the 8-ohm load.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic