icon

Opinions on Profile Amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JollyGreenGiant 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2003 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

I have had many changing plans on what I will do to my system.  I went from 2 12s in a sealed box from a garage sale, then i put a couple 1000 watt pyramids in the box, and here I am now.  The Pyramids were a disappointing experience.  Too bad I didnt discover this site before I bought them.  Anyway, I am now thinking about buying either a pair of Profile Clarus Series CL600M, or one CL1200.  I basically just want some feedback as to whether the amps are crap or not.  I can get the CL1200 for less then $190, but if isnt any good I shouldnt waste my money on it.  As you probably noticed from the begining of this post, I dont have much money.  Im 16 years old and I dont really have time to get a job so I can get some money.  I am thinkin about sellin my bike though.  Any one want a 2000 MOSH DJ2?  Since I dont have much money, Im tryin to find things that are cheap but reliable.  If I get one or two of the profile amps, I want to get either RF Punch HE2s, Punch HX2s, possibly MTX 6000s or 8000s, or maybe a pair of the cheaper Audiobahn subs (I would get any of the subs listed in the 12" model).  The CL1200 is supposedly good for 300 watts RMS x2 at 4 ohms, 450 watts RMS x2 at 2 ohms, and 900 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms in bridged mode.  If I get the 2 ohm Rockford HE2s it should work out just about right because they are rated at 400 watts RMS.  All of my plan is foiled though if this amp is no good.  I cant afford to get a higher quality RF or MTX amp for example.  Right now im using a 1000 watt "SOS" name brand amp.  Should be called POS.  Please give me feedback on the quality of this amp.

Thank you,

Jon

CCRoadshop 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2003 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

dude.......in car audio u get what u pay for...profile amps suck.....if u want to go inexpensive....try bazooka....not the best brand but ive installed a bazooka 12 inch sub with a bazooka 600 watt amp..and it pounded....

Save up some dough and by an alpine type R or the new MTX 9500 RFL coming out in june...or a solabaric square inch sub

so many possibilities

Installer - Circuit City Roadshop(2 1/2 years n counting)
------------------
Alpine CDA7894(soon to be the cda9815)
Pioneer XM unit(soon to be direct link alpine)
Audiovox 995C alarm/remote start
blaksaga 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
Uggh...profile!?  As far as amps go...stick with the good stuff...jbl, kicker, alpine v series, etc.  If you don't have much money to spend, you might want to check out the jbl BP series...they are class D amps so you get a lot of bang for the buck.  As far as subs...those pyramids can probably only handle 300rms a piece maximum...and will probably die on you within a year.  My suggestion is if you don't have the money, don't waste what you have on crap.  I was in the same situation until I wizened up...now I have a JBL bp300.1 and 2 kicker c12's that I bought for under $300 total...and they will pound a lot harder and last a lot longer than those pyramid subs powered by any amp.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  

I would suggest the JBL 1200.1 or 600.1 they have some of the best bang for the buck and they put out strong clean power. They can also be run @ 1 ohm. But as far as a good match goes I would go with a JBL 1200.1 and the Fosgate HX2's (which would be my first choice) or the MTX 8000's. But either one of those setups above will give you some clean hard hitting bass

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  

In general you get what you pay for, but that's not to say there are not exceptions.  Okay profile speakers and subs suck, and their baja amps aren't all that good either.  But I have always been a big fan of the California and Clarus series amps, especially for someone not looking to break the bank.  If you hook them up right and don't push them past their limits, they will give you nice bass for many many years.

Perhaps some of the more expensive brands can handle more ABUSE, but if you don't abuse your equipment then you have nothing to worry about anyways.  We had a good discussion on this topic (in particular how it applies to amplfiiers) a few months ago, and a number of members expressed their thoughts.  I suggest you read this and decide what is most important to you.  With speakers and subs some of the less expensive brands do admittedly suck, but I do not think this is necessarily always the case for amplifiers.

The JBL bp amps are definitely worth looking at if your budget permits it.  You can get them pretty cheap on Ebay but obviously be careful who you buy from on ebay.

Just a note about the rockford subs:  if you get the HE2s, make sure you get the ones with 4 ohm voice coils.  That way you can hook up the voice coils for each sub in parallel and then give the amp a 2 ohm load for each channel (2 ohm stereo) and get the most power from the amp.

Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no one person is going to be completely "right" or "wrong" with this kind of thing.  Keep that in mind as well.

Qveon 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
ok now wait a minute i will vouch for Profile amps. They DO put out what they say they do and quite well i might add. Your just not paying for the high priced name brand.
Opinions on Profile Amps - Last Post -- posted image.
Yes i am not done because i am doing a custom setup but this Clarus 400 pushes 300rms. My parents tell me to turn the sound down because they say it shakes the pictures on the walls of the house and i am about 150ft away.
Qveon 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
sorry i guess it won't display my pic.
copy/paste for pic: http://home.attbi.com/~qveonmail/111-1105_IMG.JPG

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic