icon

why run w2w over d2d?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2010 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
I just started doing remote starts this season and have maybe twenty-something under my belt. As a result, I've been browsing these forums like a hawk and trying to soak up as much info as I can all the time.
I'm just curious why w2w is always recommended over d2d? Is it because of failure rate? Or...?
tia
beegbie 
Copper - Posts: 341
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2010 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, it's hit or miss. It's a relatively new technology and the bugs are still being worked out. It's great when it works but don't be disappointed when it doesn't. I normally try d2d with the understanding that it may need to be hardwired if it doesn't work 100%.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2010 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
We wire every RS hardwire just because of this. I can honestly say i have spent more time fixing data issues than i have simply hardwiring them all.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2010 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
So far we have done all cars that are d2d compatible in the d2d method. No issues as of yet but we are using compustar products. What issues have you guys seen???
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2010 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
Hi Eric I thought you were using DEI. When did you change?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2010 at 6:36 AM / IP Logged  
no d2d for me. i use w2w with the fotin and compustar.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2010 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
I just W2W everything except 12V/ground because I would rather spend the extra 4 minutes prepping than troubleshooting.
pissdrunkone 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2010 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

i get all kinds of weird errors with d2d. brake status, hoodpin, tach issues etc. it sucks that xpresskit makesd2dt such a big deal, as well as directed, yet neither says DONT use d2d. are there certain modules or starters that we just plain should not use d2d for? nobody has any good info about it. w2w for me for now. its a pity, i bet they could have made the brain half the size without it.

enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2010 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
We switched over to Compustar Pro last august. We only have had 1 compustar controller(brain) that has gone bad and it was the shock sensor input. Like i mentioned before we have had all the bypasses that were d2d capable installed that way and have had no issue at all, not one hickup.
Howie, we switched because the avital units have horrible remotes and every shop had them. Instead of competing with the same product we went with compustar. We were Clifford dealers but really, what is the true meaning of a dealer when you can get the products at almost the same cost from a distributor. At least the pro compustar is protected and we are THE ONLY PRO DEALERS in the Bronx and Manhattan area.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2010 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
Are we talking about using the remote and say trunk release on a Clifford G5 and it's immediate when it seems I can go and have a cup of tea whilst I'm waiting for the Viper product to react? Or trying to turn off a Viper/Hornet/Avital once you've triggered it, yawn.
It's an old moan of mine but would the original owner of Clifford please return and buy back the company, remove it from DEI.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic