icon

help with bass blockers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigmikeww 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
i have some 100v 22uf bass blockers and i was wondering what wire do i put it on (+ or -)and do i need to make some kind of case to go over it. any other info would be great.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
They go on the positive wire, between the amplifier/head unit and the speaker.  And it does not matter which end goes to which, it'll work either direction.  You don't really need a case or anything though you might want to cut off excess wire and just solder them in line with the speaker wire, and then tape up the connection for a good clean look.
CCRoadshop 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
i think bass blockers are a waste of time...but yea hook it up like he said
Installer - Circuit City Roadshop(2 1/2 years n counting)
------------------
Alpine CDA7894(soon to be the cda9815)
Pioneer XM unit(soon to be direct link alpine)
Audiovox 995C alarm/remote start
veedubbiker 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
Why do you think they are a waste of time?  True, as a first-order band filter they only have a 6-dB rolloff, but they do help.  I have 180uF caps on my 4s in front and they do just good enough a job to keep them from getting fuzzy at high volumes.
-Matt
esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
Agreed--they do have their uses.  Particularly when you want a simple, inexpensive way to filter out bass from small front speakers to stop them from bottoming out.
R983 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2003 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
I agree,  considering bass blockers are just np caps, they work quite well for passive, high freq filters. 22uf is gonna cute those speakers off fairly high im guessing in the 1500-1800HZ range.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 6:11 AM / IP Logged  
elc crossover is the only way to go. passives cut power.
Big Dave
esmith69 
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

Electronic crossovers are only good if you are using multiple external amplifiers, because they only accept RCA inputs, not speaker-level inputs.  And their crossed-over outputs are only RCA as well.

If you do have, say, an external 4 channel amp and a 1/2 channel sub amp, but only one set of preamp outputs from the head unit, this is where a crossover really comes in to play as it will let you direct different frequencies to different amps.

Bass blockers are not really intended to be used in the higher-end systems with external amps anyways.

CorradoG60 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

R983 wrote:
I agree,  considering bass blockers are just np caps, they work quite well for passive, high freq filters. 22uf is gonna cute those speakers off fairly high im guessing in the 1500-1800HZ range.

another note to add is Bass-Blockers (A.K.A. Non-polerized electrolytic Capacitor) also don't filter out distortion from the HU output. So distorted signal goes in, distorted signal comes out, minus the lower octaves.

I hope you didn't pay over $5 for those.

The FLUKE Guy.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic