the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

how would you set these speakers up?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2010 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  

I suggest buying an 8-ohm L-pad which you can then use to dial in the tweet by ear.  THIS will work and they come with a nice knob.

One for each tweeter.  Not the mid, the tweeter.

Support the12volt.com
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
Do you think if I changed my amp from my current kenwood kac6404 it has these specs:
4-Channel Class AB Car Amplifier RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 40 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 60 watts x 4 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 130 watts x 2 chan.
Max power output: 125 watts x 4 chan. MOSFET power supply LED power indicator 4/3/2 channel operation Speaker-level inputs (adapter included) Short circuit, DC offset, overload, and thermal protection circuitry Aluminum die cast heat sink Built-in cooling fan Gold-plated RCA level inputs Gold-plated screw terminals Fixed high-pass filter (80 Hz, 12 dB/octave) Variable low-pass filter (50-200 Hz, 12 dB/octave) CEA-2006 compliant amplifier Frequency response: 50-200 Hz Dimensions: 13"L x 2.3"H x 9"D
To a zapco i450 with these specs, would it make a big difference?
4-Channel with Crossover and Remote Bass
-Balanced line input for OEM integration
-Unbalanced RCA input
-RCA output
-Bridgeable 4-channel amp
-MOSFET power supply
-Bass equalization
-Variable electronic crossover
-Remote bass gain
4-channel, 4 ohms: 4 x 50 Watts
4-channel, 2 ohms: 4 x 90Watts
Stereo, 4 ohms: 2 x 180 Watts
T.H.D. : <0.3%
Frequency Response: 10 - 25KHz
S/N Ratio: >90dB
Channel Separation: >50dB
Dimensions: 13"L x 9.9"W x 2.25"H
ZAPCO
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
difference in output would be inaudible. Difference in overall fidelity? Possibly noticeable. The Zapco amplifiers are much better designed circuits than the Kenwoods, (no matter WHAT Kenwood claims on their birthsheets) and may or may not sound better to YOU.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
difference in output would be inaudible. Difference in overall fidelity? Possibly noticeable. The Zapco amplifiers are much better designed circuits than the Kenwoods, (no matter WHAT Kenwood claims on their birthsheets) and may or may not sound better to YOU.
Could you explain a little more in depth about oveall fidelity?thanks for the info
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2010 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
I was simply expressing a subjective ideal... Sound perception is completely subjective, but there are cues in all music, that can be "psychoacoustic".
The slew rate, IMD, damping, THD, S/N ratio, output current, and most all of the other things that make up an amplifier's output, will all likely be significantly better on the Zapco amplifiers than on the Kenwoods. Knowing this may make the system "sound better to you". This is where the psychoacoustics come into play.
If your ear and brain are highly trained, there are differences in amplifier topologies that are audible. Class A biasing, vs. Class AB biasing are plainly differentiatable to someone that knows what they are listening for. Is it a physical "thing" that they are hearing? Is it a *quantifiable* difference? It's really unknown, but it has been shown over and over that it can be heard. Those are "psychoacoustics". *WILL* you hear a difference? *I* can't tell you that you will. *COULD* you hear a difference? Maybe. Is that potential difference actually the amplifiers, or is it your brain SAYING there is a difference? Again... It is not anything I can tell you WILL be there...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2010 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
thanks again haemphyst ,do you think this amp would make a difference:Clarion APA4320 4/3/2 Ch. Amp 80x4@4ohm 230wattsrmsx2@4ohm
haemphyst 
Posted: January 23, 2010 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
For the same reasons I previously stated, only in the opposite direction. There are not MANY amplifiers I would put a step below the Kenwood, but anything from Clarion, I would.
NOBODY will be able to tell you if you will hear any difference, as an absolute... With more power, it MAY get louder, but that's all I could possibly commit to. I don't know, man...
spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2010 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  

ok thanks a bunch haemphyst, Im looking for a good amp to basically double my power and produce good clear sound any recomendations would be greatly appreciated

haemphyst 
Posted: January 23, 2010 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
You will be throwing good money after (perceived) bad...
I firmly believe you have as much as you need... Tuning is what you need to focus on, now. Get it sounding RIGHT before you add any power. Adding power, without proper level adjusting, gain matching and overall tuning will gain you nothing. Doubling your power will not make it sound better, only louder, and even that's debatable as to whether or not you will even be able to hear it!
If you twist my arm for a good amp recommendation, consider seriously the Alpine PDX amps - specifically the 4.100. Good power, and really clean sounding. More than you are looking for, but also not TERRIBLY expensive for the performance level...
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic