icon

common chamber dual slot ports

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rfhvhtoo 
Copper - Posts: 238
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2010 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
Alright I usually go sealed for these questions exactly but I need to graduate to bigger and better things now and ported is what im gonna do. I have a net 2.8cbft subwoofer enclosure built and I want to put 2 Slot Ports on each side since it is 48.6 inches long and has 3 10's in it.
I used the Calculator and it's saying with my dimensions of 1.5H x 10W that it should be about 9.3 inches to get it tuned to 34hz. But that is only for 1 port right? So How do i figure it out for 2 ports?
Also DO slot ports need to be along the walla of the Box? Because the Floor of the Box is Fiber GLass So I was going to put the 4 walled Slots somewhere equally spaced and between the Subs
thanks
I can't hear you!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2010 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't split the slots in a common chamber... Unpredictable results at best. If you really want individual slots, for the appearance of it, you'll be much better off if you split the common box into three dedicated enclosures.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2010 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
I wouldn't split the slots in a common chamber... Unpredictable results at best. If you really want individual slots, for the appearance of it, you'll be much better off if you split the common box into three dedicated enclosures.
So what about just for 1 single slot. Is there a certain place I should put it? and whats the difference between a square and a Slot port because im getting different lengths to use in the Calculators?
I can't hear you!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
As far as "where" to put the slot? It won't really matter...
If the AREA of the slot vs. square is differnt, the length will be different.
I haven't figured anything, but you need to be certain they are the same area, to get them to be the same length.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged  

You say you have a sealed box, a 2.8 cf enclosure, that you want to convert into a ported enclosure...do I have that correct?  If so, I recommend against that kind of conversion.  You should build anew if you want a ported box for the three subs.

Reason is:  you displace a lot of air inside the box by building port walls and allowing for port air.  You are dropping the amount of net air for each woofer down to levels that are too small.  So, start fresh with a new design.

Use WinISD to help you.  Ports are most commonly placed along a side of the enclosure because the port can take advantage of a common wall...and thus use less extra building materials (and displacement) to construct the walls that must separate the port from the internal net airspace.  Box construction can quickly become huge and heavy when you don't design for expediency.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
ok im going to stop beating around the bush because I've tried to figure this thing out but its just not happening for me.
I Have a 2.7cbft Box (Net Volume) I have 3- 10" Pioneer Premier Champion Pro subs inside of it. It is a Common CHamber Box and I am willing to do 1 or 2 ports.
The Round Port Suggestion for the subwoofers are here in the manual
For a
0.9cbft 3 x 3.5
1.2cbft 2 x 2.5
0.6cbft 3 x 7
Resonance frequency is 34.7hz
Xmax 11mm
IM sure thats for single chambers right? But I have a common because im building under a truck seat and it has alot of bumps and grooves.
There's the manual if that helps any. I just want some suggestion on port size thanks alot
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/TS-W2502D2_InstructionManual1120.pdf
I can't hear you!
incognyto 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
I built a common chamber dual 12 box with equal slot port's on either side of the box. lots of care to make sure there identical. I seem to have great results. I think it's worth tryin the pipe port and see what happen's you can alway's rip it out and cover up the port with a piece of mdf if it sounds like poo. or add more or less port.
incognyto 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
also with the dual 12 box that I made I opened up the holes from 12 to 15!! got some alpine type-r 15's and there NUTS!!! 5.5 cubic feet. JL 12w1v2 port specs (1.5" x 14.5" x 33.75" length aparently tuned to 28 hz) I just doubled the size of the box and put the same port on either side of the box. NOW with 15" alpines in it. Sound's fantastic to me but it say's 1.75 cu per 12". I think the alpines may be better off with more say 2.5 cu

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic