icon

2005 equinox tach wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dswitzer1 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  

Hello.  Does anyone know the exact location of the tach wire in a 2005 Chevy Equinox.  I have already messed up my PCM by choosing the wrong wire due to lack of location description.  "purple wire to rear of motor" does not suffice when there a multiple purples.  Is it even worth hooking the tach wire to the remote start? or is it just a fancy feature that is not really necessary?

Thanks again in advance!

Don.

dswitzer1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry....... just a follow up.  How are the pins numbered in the PCM?  Pin 61 would be which one?  They aren't labled and I don't have a wiring manual handy.  (propably wouldn't be asking this question though if I did)

Thanks Again.

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,786
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  

The tach signal is required on some remote start units.  Some remote start units do quite well with voltage sensing or virtual tach.  Most professionals try to use a tach signal whenever possible.  You didn't mention which brand/model you have so.....

You can use a Digital Multi Meter to test a wire for a proper tach signal.  Set DMM to AC and chose a voltage range that will display a voltage between .5 to 8 volts.  Black to a good ground and red to the wire.  Start the engine.  The voltage should rise with RPM's.

I did a 05 Equinox and ended up using a Violet wire at the Ignition Control Module at the top rear of the engine.

Soldering is fun!
dswitzer1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry.  It is a Viper 5301 Remote Start only.

Thanks.  i think I'm just unsure which is the Ignition control Module.  Is it mounted right to the rear of the motor?

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,786
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2010 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of that install.  It was over a year ago and I'm drawing a blank.  I think the module was bolted to top rear of the engine. 

I believe the Equinox a "one touch start" engine.  Thats where you can just turn the key to start and release immediately and the engine continues to crank until its started.  If it is, you might try going in the vipers tachless mode (virtual tach or voltage).   I don't use Viper products but there are plenty on this forum that do and could offer advise.

Soldering is fun!
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2010 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
Don't use VT for this vehicle. The vehicle really does not like it, and I had an ABS light go on once because of it, and it didn't learn it.
So if you're in the driver steering column area, there should be a giant 2" thick harness of wires going across the area. Here you can find your brake wire, p-lights, and TACH! Eventually the wire runs up to the instrument cluster, but i find it easier to grab it here for some reason.
It will be the WHITEST wire in there about a 16-18GA wire. It reads 0V A/C at rest and around 6V i believe when the engine is running. Or you could grab it at the cluster as well.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

DEI says...

purple at the PCM, black plug pin 61. The PCM is located in front of the driver strut tower, above the battery cover. You can also got to any fuel injector and use the wire that is NOT pink.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
segal79_19 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2010 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
at the pcm in the engine compartment. pcm is on the left front of the engine bay. it has 3 connectors on it. the middle connector has a BROWN / white wire that is your tach. test to be sure. should be the only BROWN / white wire in the harness. pcm is and alluminum square with fins on the top. three multie pin plugs on the top close to the engine. there is a plastice cover bout 1.5 to 2 inches wide going across the plugs. hope this helps.
Marks Auto Mart Sound and Accessories
2100 5th Ave. South
Fort Dodge Iowa 50501

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic