mfg enclousure recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
budumbudum 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2010 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

incognyto wrote:
man that sounds fun to ride around in!! i know what you mean though the speaker will have to sit quite a way's outside the hole, with spacers so it won't look good. possible that that entire glove box can be taken out without it lookin like poo?? also I've searched a bit but I think that most of the 350z's I'm finding are the coupes not the convertables, where guy's are putting 3 12's firing back or upwards into the glass. there has to be someone out there such as yourself that isn't impressed with the stock 10 and want's 2!! thorough searching may result in something you haven't found :)

Yes you got my point exactly about the spacers. I have seen some pics of other Z Roadsters with two subs behind the seats but i am not sure if they built a sealed box to the right spec behind or just slaped it on with a nice face plate to look good. I think one guy fibreglasssed the interior space but it would be extreamly hard to judge the cubic area not to mention the difficulty of making sure its air tight.  I didnt want to start cutting metal on this car but it would make the job easier for sure.

I have the complete glove box out and the max space i have to pass a finished box though is 18"x8". I wont need to go 18 wide to get the .5cu ft area, maybe only 16" as I have about 10" depth as well before i hit more brackets that would have to be cut out.

budumbudum 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2010 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

I like to stay within 10% of the manufactures recomendations.  For a 0.5cuft box that means 0.05cuft! 

Of course you also have to factor in displacement of the sub so that will add a small amount to the 0.5cuft.

The right sub in the right box will sound much better then the right sub in the wrong box so I would expect noticably better results with the correct enclosure.

Thanks I will stay withing the 10% as best as possible. Dont know why the first box was made about 1cu ft inside though when the mgh spec reads 0.5 cu ft.

budumbudum 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2010 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

You know as I was typing I was thinking about the narrow space i have to work with.

4ea ~6 3/4 subs instead of 2ea 10" would have fit so much easier except that I would have to buy those and i'm not sure if i would get the same end results for sound and quality in a car.

incognyto 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2010 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
another thing is you may be able to get something bigger than 8x18 in there if you pull the seat's out. it's unbelievably easy to pull seat's out usually. my air bag light is on now though haha, I put my amp's under my front seats, I think trying to stay withing 0.05 of a cubic foot is a little anal I think anything close is fine. any chance you can uplaod some pics of the glove box ripped out??
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2010 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
incognyto wrote:
another thing is you may be able to get something bigger than 8x18 in there if you pull the seat's out. it's unbelievably easy to pull seat's out usually. my air bag light is on now though haha, I put my amp's under my front seats, I think trying to stay withing 0.05 of a cubic foot is a little anal I think anything close is fine. any chance you can uplaod some pics of the glove box ripped out??
Nothing anal about that. Staying within 10% is a standard for me and any other respectable box builder. To put it into prospective. His .5 Recommended is 50% larger at the 1.0cu.ft. With what your saying. If i used a 1.5cu.ft. recommended enclosure and made it 3.0cu.ft. it would be fine and not going to make a difference. I think not. .5 may not seem like much, but with the parameters of that sub it is a huge difference.
mfg enclousure recommendations - Page 2 -- posted image.
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2010 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
j.reed wrote:
Nothing anal about that. Staying within 10% is a standard for me and any other respectable box builder. To put it into prospective. His .5 Recommended is 50% larger at the 1.0cu.ft. With what your saying. If i used a 1.5cu.ft. recommended enclosure and made it 3.0cu.ft. it would be fine and not going to make a difference. I think not. .5 may not seem like much, but with the parameters of that sub it is a huge difference.
I second that.
10% error is FAR from anal....
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
incognyto 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2010 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry anal was most definatly the wrong word and I do actually agree with the 10 percent rule, I just thought of .05 of a foot to be trivial but 10% is actually 86.4 cubic inches it seems bigger that way hehe again no offense intended. :)
budumbudum 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  

I made some good progress today. It turns out i dont need three rings to make the speaker fit. After I cut the base plate to size and made the top ring the speaker fell right in like a glove. :),  So instead of a ring I decided to just make a second full panel with the only diff being the size of the holes in each.

The box is wedge shaped and follows the 2nd wedge caculator. I will be making it as follows,

Width =15", Height 1=13", Height 2 =10", Depth = 8" thickness =.75

Total cu ft = 0.5078

The only part I don't have caclulated is the 2 hole's that are approx 9" round each less the space the speaker takes up. So over all I think it sould be pretty darn close to the mfg spec of 0.5 cu ft.

The manufacture says to use between 1-3" of that speaker baffel stuff. What is amount better and should I line all 5 sides of the box equally? ( the previous box only have one thin layer and on the bottom opposite the speaker)

Can I use that white stuff they use to make furniture as i have a little?  Sorry if this info is on here somewhere already.

I would post some pics but i think I need to be a Silver or gold member?

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic