icon

amp distortion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rfhvhtoo 
Copper - Posts: 238
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2010 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
Its a rockford Fosgate T5002. I have it running @ 2ohms on 1 channel for my door speakers (Minimum load is 1ohm per channel). I've had it about 3 months and just recently (3 or 4 days ago) The sound became noticeably distorted. I tested the RCA, Ground, Radio vs Ipod Signal, Then I finally changed the speakers from the left channel to the right and Bingo Its clean sound on that side with Both RCA's. So something is wrong with my left channel. Also I checked the AC voltage at each channel and the one with the distortion is noticeably higher about double the voltage
Does Anyone know something else I can look at before I have to Send it out for this MINOR repair that'll cost me Major money? Thanks
I can't hear you!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 26, 2010 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  

Are you sure the distorted channel had a higher voltage output than the working channel.  Check them again with a speaker connected to it when testing.

Why would you connect the left and right door speakers to one channel of your amp.  Stereo = 2 separate channels.  You are missing out on tons of stereo separation if this is how you have it connected.

rfhvhtoo 
Copper - Posts: 238
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

Are you sure the distorted channel had a higher voltage output than the working channel.  Check them again with a speaker connected to it when testing.

Why would you connect the left and right door speakers to one channel of your amp.  Stereo = 2 separate channels.  You are missing out on tons of stereo separation if this is how you have it connected.

I have 8 Speakers. 4 to left and 4 to the right channel. Midrange mid bass and tweeter. all 8 ohm to come to a 2ohm load on both channels. Both Channels can carry a 1ohm load.
So the amp playing without speakers will give me a different voltage than with speakers? or is giving it a load the point.
I can't hear you!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
wihout a load on the amp, you could have open emitter resistors, and would not notice because there would be no current draw through the higher value resistor.  No current draw = no voltage drop.  With a load and an open resistor, the voltage on that channel will be considerably lower than the working channel.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic