icon

bad rca shield on pioneer head unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wykdfantasy 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2010 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
I have been chasing a nasty engine whine in my system all day, checking every wire and ground there is. Finally after an entire day from noon to almost midnight, I have found my answer through searching on here and testing.
It is a bad RCA Shield on my head unit as directed here:
http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html#demo4
I did this simple test, and all noise went away.
Now previously two weeks ago, I blew an Alpine amp here:
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~118912~PN~2
I am not sure if these two are related, or if the blown amp caused the ground in my new head unit to blow. If anyone could shed any light on this please let me know.
My Pioneer head unit is brand new, only two weeks old, I could exchange it or repair it, please advise what would be the best course of action.
wykdfantasy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2010 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
The above mentioned pioneer head unit is model: DEH-P7100BT
If a mod would like to update that in the title for me I would appreciate it.
The amp is an Alpine MRD-M605 as noted in the linked thread.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 6:53 AM / IP Logged  
get rid of the Pioneer.....
mrarff 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
In my humblest opion you will be better served to return the pioneer and upgrade to something like Alpine, Eclipse, ect. Back before I knew better, I relied on the experience of using Pioneer "Super tuners" of the late '70's origin. Believe me, they ain't the same as they oncw were. I had spent tons of time trying to track down noise with Pioneer decks, and always wound up with a Frankenstien job  (grounds running off rca connections , ect) or turning down treble controls and living with crappy sound. There are way better decks on the market than the pioneer. Just research it on this site. I have recently installed an Eclipse deck in my ride, and the difference is astounding.  I can't guess as to what you are looking for in a h/u, but for the same money or just a little more, your enjoyment can be greatly amplified. (my Eclipse CD 5030 has ZERO hiss, ZERO static, ZERO unwanted noise, and I used the gound in the harness, not an additional one like I thought I would have to)
"That'll get ya 10 in Leavenworth,11 in Twelveworth, or 5 & 10 in Woolworth". Groucho Marx                                                      
wykdfantasy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2010 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
ok so I soldered the wire to the RCA, and attached it to the case of the head unit and all is well in the world. Thank you all for your help.
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
There's nothing wrong with the pioneer head units. There is something wrong with the average joe who turns on his radio with is rcas plugged into the back of his deck and the other end just flopping there, and blows the pico fuse.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic