the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

07 08 fj crusier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,428
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2010 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys i have a friend of mine who has either a 2007 or 2008 FJ cruiser he not sure which one. it has the key with the integrated fob into it   do these trucks have a chip key ? all my info doesn't say it does or doesn't.   is there anything i should know about these ?   im gonna be doing it on Sunday in his driveway so any tips or hints would really help 07 08 fj crusier -- posted image. also do the key fobs still work after the truck is running ?
Thanks Joe
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 28, 2010 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
The immobilizer system on the FJ was not standard until 2008. If it is a 2007 you should be fine without a bypass, the 2008 would need a bypass. The keyless entry will not work when the ignition is on. You would need to use a remote starter with keyless, or have the person use a key when the vehicle is running.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
chev104275 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2010 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
thanks twelvoltz if it is an 08 what type of bypass   just a key in a box type ?
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2010 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
a key in the box type (556u) will work fine, however there are also other available modules if you do not want to have to lose a key.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2010 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
The basic Idatalink module will work for bypass if it's needed. Look at the light around the keyhole on the ignition switch, if you see a copper coil it needs a bypass. If not, you won't.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
chev104275 
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 7:11 AM / IP Logged  
thanks mike m2 and x1le i will check before i do it just trying to get as much info as possable ill be doing it sunday in his driveway    nice and cold
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
There's a fairly easy way to tell if it has a transponder key without taking the car apart....even your friend can do it, even if he has no car knowledge.
1. Turn engine off, and remove key. (That's important, the can must not be left in the ignition.)
2. Sit quiet in the car and look at the instrument cluster, as well as the panels and indicators around the radio.
3. If you see a red flashing light that says SECURITY or has a little picture of a car, it definitely has a transponder and will need a bypass of some sort.
As twelvoltz said, be sure to get a unit that has lock and unlock buttons, or at least a 1-button unit that has the unlock feature. Once he remote starts the truck, the factory keyless goes dead.
(idatalink.com has some modules for some Toyotas that keep the factory remotes working when remote started, but I'm not sure if they make one for the FJ or not. Check their site.)
I do almost all my work outside, usually with the car's engine running and the heater on high. One important thing is to let the car run a little bit and get the entire interior toasty warm before taking the car apart. Those plastic panels get brittle when cold, and can be cracked easily. If everything's warmed up first, they're flexible and you'll be fine.
chev104275 
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
thanks chris thats usually what i do at work too let em run for a while.       As far as the security goes i wasnt sure toyotas had lights or not (i do mainly fords and suzukis kias) ill have him check into it.    Ive done 1 other toyota scion tc   not bad car to do.     Just had my first 2010 focus the FAD was fun to bypass   need to see a valid key code and ing on to bypass
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
Chris, the Idatalink bypass does not allow the factory remotes to work on the FJ...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
chev104275 
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
thanks mike m2 i looked   thats fine just gonna do the start keyless kit
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic