icon

Best deep cycle battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jeremy11421 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
I was wondering what is the best deep cycle battery. I want to get a new deep cycle and make it the main battery in my car. I have a 98 2dr honda civic, and i have been struggling to find a good battery that fits my car. Please help.
For every problem, there is a solution.
ggrizzle 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 5:17 AM / IP Logged  
I have a Optima red top Battery. I put it in my 02 cavalier the day after I got it. It fit right in the factory battery tray and I used the factory terminals. I haven't had a problem since. Good Luck with your up grade!!
g.g.
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  

i dont think the Optima red top battery is a deep cycle type. i think the Optima yellow top battery is the deep cycly and the red top is the starting battery. the red top has about 800 cca (cold cranking amps), while the yellow top has only around 650 cca. while 650 cca is plenty of power to start the civic, you will still be able to run the yellow top battery dead alot of times with out it going bad. and even though the red top one can be run dead, it is designed for alot of current to be pulled out of it in a relativley short amount of time, i.e.-starting your car, and the yellow top was designed for moderate drain over a longer period of time, i.e.- running your stereo with the car off for a while. if you need more starting power and the deep cycle also, get 2 yellow tops and wire them in parallell

Powerslave0 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 7:02 AM / IP Logged  
I use Lead Acid Gell cells, not in my car, but in my boat. .   They last a long time. My uncle has one in his Bravada, and in his Explorer before that. Worked fine all winter, and provided plenty of CCA and power. They are designed for prolonged current draw (wheel chairs, and other powered devices).
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
I would suggest that you look into the car audio / deep cycle batteries manufactured by SVR. I believe they make one which is the size of the Honda batteries, being they are not normal sized. I just ordered one from my distributor for my personal vechicle, it should be here today actually. The SVR web site is : www.svrbatteries.com    
I believe the Honda sized battery 50-12.
Dan M C 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
I would go with the Optima Yellow top,they are very durable almost indestructible and it can last you about 6,7 years easy.Best deep cycle battery -- posted image.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
definitely go with an Optima Yellow Top
Jeremy11421 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
Thanx guys, I appreciate the info. I believe I am going to go with the optima yellow top.
For every problem, there is a solution.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2003 at 6:43 AM / IP Logged  
bat cap makes a dry cell 800 amp batt that is very small in size you can use 2 of them easy. you need a good high amp alternator too you can have the best batt in the world without the high output alt it is not worth spit. I run 2 duralast 1000 amp batts and a ac/delco 170 amp alt. i have plenty of power my amps love it. more is better.
Big Dave
Jason A 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2003 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  

Optima's are OK....they were the first and still use the old technology......

The best sealed/ gel-cel battery is the Orbital line by Exide....newer design, higher density spiral plates..etc..etc..

The best sealed is the Orbital XCD "Extreme Cycle Duty" battery which really performs great....I will bet that my vehicle probably pulls more current then anybody here....as my 4x4 winch has no problems pulling 425+ !!!! amps continuously (Warn XD9000i) plus all my lights which draw 65amps alone...

I was running dual Yellow Optimas until a month ago...and they performed good...but a switch to the Orbitals and I can winch for 4 minutes longer at almost full-pull !!! without the motor running....

If you have a high-output alternator (I run a 160a), then you should run 2 batteries as sealed batteries don't like to be charged super fast due to heat...most optimas/orbitals have a max charge rate...but the redtops don't as they are a starting only battery...

Jason

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic