icon

how to wire car audio amp in your home?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joeeeeker 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2010 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
sorry mods if this doesn't belong here, but i figured i'd get the best feedback here. i've been looking for an AC to DC adapter, but the only thing i can find is the ones that look like they're for cigarette lighters. i've searched online and have seen many people using their computer power supplies to wire their amps, but i don't really want to go this route. i think the best thing i can do is take an actual car battery and wire it that way, but it still poses the problem of a remote wire to turn on the amp. i was wondering if anyone was aware of any type of AC to DC converter with a positive and negative terminal connection? thanks in advanced for any type of input :)
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 2:52 AM / IP Logged  
How big is your system? IE = power consumption, Watt, or RMS output etc, else total fuses.
If you are talking hundreds of Watts, I'd suggest you forget it.
You might use the HU, but amps & speakers will be cheaper to re-buy.
You are really looking at what is often called a "rectifier" - aka a battery charger etc.
No problems for a small 100W (input) system - an 8A battery charger should do with an appropriate sealed battery - probably about $100.
But that could have noise which may require filtering.
But let's start with your system size......
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  

Following is a link to a supplier of Pyramid Power Supplies.  I have a PS-25 and a PS-35 and a PS-50.  The 25 and 35 are used on a daily basis.  The 50 amp unit rarely used so I can not vouch for the reliability of that unit.  The 25 and 35 are Solid and are about 20 years old.  I have owned Astron supplies and they have proven to not be nearly as reliable as the Pyramid units.  I purchased the astron units new, and the Pyramids came from the pawn shop. So there is no telling what they went through before I got them.  They have since changed the model numbers to 26 36 and 52.  Definitely a reliable product.   But as Old Sparky has stated, we need to know more about your system to help you.  Your amplifier was powered by one of the above mentioned supplies.  Only for a short time, but that is how I powered it when I had it.

http://www.pacetronics.com/group.cfm?Cat_Selected=37&Subcat_Selected=116&Group_Selected=278&Cfid=5748&CFTOKEN=91309033

joeeeeker 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2010 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

Following is a link to a supplier of Pyramid Power Supplies.  I have a PS-25 and a PS-35 and a PS-50.  The 25 and 35 are used on a daily basis.  The 50 amp unit rarely used so I can not vouch for the reliability of that unit.  The 25 and 35 are Solid and are about 20 years old.  I have owned Astron supplies and they have proven to not be nearly as reliable as the Pyramid units.  I purchased the astron units new, and the Pyramids came from the pawn shop. So there is no telling what they went through before I got them.  They have since changed the model numbers to 26 36 and 52.  Definitely a reliable product.   But as Old Sparky has stated, we need to know more about your system to help you.  Your amplifier was powered by one of the above mentioned supplies.  Only for a short time, but that is how I powered it when I had it.

http://www.pacetronics.com/group.cfm?Cat_Selected=37&Subcat_Selected=116&Group_Selected=278&Cfid=5748&CFTOKEN=91309033

thanks for the info craig. you always got an answer to my questions. what i'm planning on powering is the jl 500/1 you repaired for me and a jl 12w6v2
poonamt93 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2010 at 3:59 AM / IP Logged  
Theoretically you could use that setup in the house, but that's just ghetto! You would need a heavy duty 12volt supply for the amp and it's not gonna look very appealing in a house environment. As the other person mentioned, just sell them on eBay and invest in a true Home system!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

Those JL amps are very sensitive to voltage drops.  They do not like to play loud on the smaller supplies.   I have not tried one on the 50 amp unit.  It is at home and I have my bench here disabled at the moment.  It being a JL amp, I would not reccomend running it on a supply.  Any other brand it would  really not be a problem.  I would hate for you to spend the money and have nothing to listen to.

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
As far as the remote lead...You can hook it up to the 12v output and cut the wire in half and install a toggle  switch to turn on/off...Or just hook it up direct and use the switch on the power supply when you want the amp on/off...The battery idea will always need to be charged...etc... My friend did his with one of the pyramid supplies and a old baja 300w amp...Went to a diamond 10"...Sounded great...But all this stuff was just laying around...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
lgrammer 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2010 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
try looking at using a computer power supply. since they give 12 volt
joeeeeker 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2010 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
to be honest.. all this stuff is laying around and it's more of a hobby, having something to do, rather than looking "ghetto". it's actually going to be set up in my garage :)
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2010 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
Good suggestion!
Usually 12V at full output rated current if no other rail (voltage) used - ie, a 400W supply is probably 12V 20A. (I use a 200W = 12V 10A unit for my sump-pump (a 12V system that divers drain water for gardens) because that was the cheapest 12V supply above 1A that I could get!!)
If noisy, it should be easy to quieten (a series choke or (parallel) small cap).
But it won't be suitable if a battery is included.
(And) It's only 12V - not 13.8 or 14.4 etc.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic