icon

kicker zx amplifiers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Edhern 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone know if a Kicker ZX300.1 amplifiers can be connected as a high level? Meaning connecting spliced RCA cables to the speaker outs of a factory headunit. It's going to a 2006 Dodge Durango non-premium sound stock radio. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Ed.Hndz
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

You can do it but you must follow these instructions carefully in order to not damage the output chip in your factory radio.  Only use the positive speaker wire.  Do not connect anything to the decks negative wires.  When you strip the patch cord, ground both shields to the chassis of the vehicle.  Connect the positive wire to the center conductor of the patch cord.  Plug the patch cord in before you power the radio up.  There is going to be 6 volts of DC on the tip of the patch cord.   If it touches ground, your radio will not like it.  Turn the gain control all the way down.  If you find that the gain can not be turned down enough, let me know I can tell you how to build a simple voltage divider circuit.

Edhern 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a plan. However, adding a line-out converter sounds much easier and faster than getting all technical with voltage circuits. Your overthinking juuuuuust a little bit. I just thought that they could be connected directly like the slash series amps from JL Audio. Thanks for the reply though.
Ed.Hndz
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry, I guess I must have overlooked the mentioning of the line out converter in your initial post.

The voltage divider will be needed only if you can not get the gain down low enough to control the amp.  If it is needed, it is simply 2 resistors per channel.  The JL slash series amps use balanced input.  The kicker does not. That is why you can not connect the negative speaker wires to the RCA jacks.

j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
No need for a converter or the method "I am" is referring to. The ZX line only has RCA input, but can be used for both low level and high level input. Kicker ZX300.1 Owners manual.
Splice into the speaker lines with a set of RCA's as shown on page 3, figure 1 of the ZX300.1 owners manual link. Ensure that the input switch is set to hight level, gain all the way down and set gain according to the How to set gains Topic.and enjoy.
kicker zx amplifiers -- posted image.
Edhern 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2010 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
I knew it! Thank you so much j.reed for the owner's manual. I used to have it since I got the amp brand new, and I just couldn't remember if you could or not. Thank you too "I am an idiot" for the feedback.
Ed.Hndz

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic