icon

mb quarts in 08 cobalt need advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dlambe 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so I am wiring in a set of mb quarts in a 08 cobalt, problem I am running into here is that  I am wiring them up for a coaxial setup, tweets in the speakers, and I only have 1 set of speaker wires running into the door. I looked at the wiring schematic for the speakers and it is kinda off. http://www.maxxsonics.net/manuals/mbquart/pdfs/pce_216.pdf the problem I see is that they are calling the spade terminal + but in the wiring schematic they are not showing the wires going to the + terminal just the 2 negative terminal screws which is confusing me  a bit. The other issue is that with 1 set of speaker wires per door can I just connect the + and - of the tweet to the + and - of the speaker wire or do I need to run seperate wires for the tweet from the crossover becuase that would entail me running more wires for the doors which I would like to avoid. All the speakers are going to be run to a alpine 4 channel amp in the trunk. I just hooked the speaker wiring from the amp to the factory wiring behind the headunit for the front speakers for now.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2010 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  

You need to run new wires from the crossover (mount it inside the car) to the new speakers in the door. Yes it is a PITA but it needs to be done. You are mounting your speakers as a POINTSOURCE, not a coaxial. They must use a crossover or you are going to be on the hunt for new tweeters in rather short order. Mounting the crossover in the door is going to result in you buying new crossovers in 3 months time due to all the moisture in the door (and mounting them in a plastic bag does not solve this problem, it makes it worse). If you want to do this yourself , here is the secret that you need.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~78731~PN~1

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dlambe 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2010 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  

ok so I decided to man up and just run new wiring into the doors, it was not that difficult just a pain in the butt and yes I did run it through the molex and loomed it all even through the rubber to make sure it was protected. Call me paranoid but I like to make sure what I do will last. So its all hooked up and he is a happy customer now.

dlambe 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2010 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
cross overs are all in the trunk, by the way if anyone ever wants to know how to remove the rear seat or panels in a cobalt just let me know.
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2010 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
dlambe wrote:
cross overs are all in the trunk, by the way if anyone ever wants to know how to remove the rear seat or panels in a cobalt just let me know.
Been there done that lol. Takes a little time. Don't understand why they couldn't do it like my old 4th gen civic was. Way easy to remove the rear seat. Not so much with the cobalt.
mb quarts in 08 cobalt need advice -- posted image.
dlambe 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2010 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
yeah I honestly gotta say that I am not to impressed with how they designed the interior of these cars as compared to the older ones. It has to be hands down the worst experience I have ever had with a car install and the worst of luck. Poor kid who owns it had no less than 2 amps not work for him, 1 being new I bench tested it and it would not even power up for us. It took me a lot longer on this car and it was a nightmare for deck install. FYI you can use the cheapo harness for the stereo if you don't care about the chimes and don't have onstar. Basically the expensive harness is there for rap power and chimes thats about it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic