icon

relay set up?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2010 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  

To the OP, yes you need to cut the starter wire! The GWA (ground when armed wire, not a direct ground) also called output to starter kill, i think!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
ic3laxer 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2010 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
ok cool thanks and what about the output to ignition wire coming from the compustar brain will I need to connect this to anything?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2010 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
I think the GWR is blue, it's a wire that goes to ground when the alarm is armed, hence GWA. ONLY join that to 85 on the relay, also surely this ignition wire is a thick cable that powers the ignition. You know what with these questions, I'm really wondering if your knowledge level is up to this job, and frankly like t&t says in nearly 40 years in this business I've almost never seen failed relays except fuel pump primers on UK Fords and Porsches back in the early 90s. And yes they were made by Bosch or Hella. In fact many many years ago I was told that Lucas, Honeywell and Omron made just about all of them anyway!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 03, 2010 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
I have seen maybe 5 defective relays in my time.  Only 2 that I would consider a failure.  The other 3 had WAY too much current going through them.  The only help I have is help that has already given, but not explained. Do not connect 86 to a constant voltage. If you do, the relay will be energized the entire time the alarm is armed.  You will have a dead battery if you do not drive the car daily.
ic3laxer 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2010 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
I think the GWR is blue, it's a wire that goes to ground when the alarm is armed, hence GWA. ONLY join that to 85 on the relay, also surely this ignition wire is a thick cable that powers the ignition. You know what with these questions, I'm really wondering if your knowledge level is up to this job, and frankly like t&t says in nearly 40 years in this business I've almost never seen failed relays except fuel pump primers on UK Fords and Porsches back in the early 90s. And yes they were made by Bosch or Hella. In fact many many years ago I was told that Lucas, Honeywell and Omron made just about all of them anyway!

yeah i admit my knowledge is def lacking but thats why i came here to learn. I have done quite a few full audio system installs and I figured with a little knowledge I could figure it out... but I have yet to find car security installs for dummies and I dont wanna screw up my car sooo idk kinda lost right now but I love to do things myself and learn so im not giving up yet.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic