icon

midrange mush

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
licto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

Hello all and thanks for what I am about to put you through........

I purchased some decent stuff about two years ago and now that I have heard some other setups, I realize mine sounds like crap.  A buddy of mine by the name of Reed told me to jump on here and ask some questions of the pros that they may be able to help me out.

I have read the rules, tried to find a good place to ask my question, but instead I guess I just need to dive in and ask away.....  Hoping this is in the right area.  Please forgive me if it is not!!!!

1996 Ford Explorer   HU Alpine 9887 -- Focal 165 V1 seperates with crossovers all four doors -- PDX 4100 -- MRP-M1000 - Alpine 1242 Type R Sealed in 1.2 Cubic .75 with a little poly.

Question......  when you have passive crossovers, and you bump the tweets down by say -3db, and then you go to the deck crossover and bump the output to that mid and tweet channel down by -6db......  is that the same as having an acitive setup and bumping something down by -9db.  Are they additive, do they like working together, or are you really messing up the sound.

Question......  with passive crossovers, if you adjust the slope in the deck as any db per octave.......  is it really doing anything considering there is a slope engineeried into the passive crossover.

The focals are just a mess in the midrange.....  sounds like mud.  I have the PDX set for 80 hertz and up.  The tweeters up front are like a dentist drill as they are mounted up on the door on each side.  The right tweeter kills me.  And it seems as though the midrange has no punch at all.

I have been thinking about getting rid of all  four doors Focals, and going with an active system of some kind.  I would like to condsider getting some great mids and tweets and going two way active up front via the switch on the bottom of the deck.  I know Haemphest was looking at Vifa, some tweets and so on.......  but there have been many comments to active being a real bear to tune in.  I am willing to get a laptop with some RTA going.  The guys at the local store said you have to be really careful if going active to not blow the components.

Question......  If I went active, is there any hope of getting my focals to sound better and could I dim the dang tweeters down.  Do I just need to go with a silk dome tweeter to get away from the harshness.  Is there a mid range out there in 6.5 that will just kick the snot out of the focal mid.  Should I experiment with the focals in active to get a feel for what components will take without a passive crossover.  Do you just start with the gains way down for each stage and try to stay under say 30 watts for the tweets.

Seems like I am just thining and typing here, so many questions come to mind.  Sorry for the ramble, but any help is much appreciated.

Regards, Licto

licto 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

Uh oh, this doesent sound good......  I know, sell the truck and buy a scooter....  ouch!!!!!!  Na, just kidding, looking forward to your reply.  I saw the breakout that you did of your components and would really enterertain doing a 2 way setup....  if you think that would work.  Guess what I am getting at is this......

If you could recommend a great mid and tweet that are super punchy and smooth.......  I would try to go active.  But only if there is a chance that it could at least be tuned by ear for the time being and sound better than these focals.

Look forward to your comments........

Licto

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
licto wrote:
Hello all and thanks for what I am about to put you through........
Actually, it wasn't all that bad! I've seen longer questions that were almost not written in english! :) Thank you for your thoughts, and your efforts in actually typing them in a recognizable fashion!
licto wrote:
I purchased some decent stuff about two years ago and now that I have heard some other setups, I realize mine sounds like crap. A buddy of mine by the name of Reed told me to jump on here and ask some questions of the pros that they may be able to help me out.
What about it sounds like crap? Is it really just the mids? Are you really not happy with the tweeters?
licto wrote:
I have read the rules, tried to find a good place to ask my question, but instead I guess I just need to dive in and ask away..... Hoping this is in the right area. Please forgive me if it is not!!!!
Nope. This is the right forum!
licto wrote:
1996 Ford Explorer   HU Alpine 9887 -- Focal 165 V1 seperates with crossovers all four doors -- PDX 4100 -- MRP-M1000 - Alpine 1242 Type R Sealed in 1.2 Cubic .75 with a little poly.
I dont understand this part: Alpine 1242 Type R Sealed in 1.2 Cubic .75 with a little poly. Is your box .75 cubes or is it 1.2 cubes?
The Focals suck. Metal dome tweeters, with mediocre woofers, the crossovers are designed with iron-core inductors and if I remember correctly, they are even placed on the same plane. Two very huge no-no's in the world of passive crossover audiophilia. For the money people are expected to pay for Focal stuff, I'd WAY expect better design, let ALONE better sound!
licto wrote:
Question...... when you have passive crossovers, and you bump the tweets down by say -3db, and then you go to the deck crossover and bump the output to that mid and tweet channel down by -6db...... is that the same as having an acitive setup and bumping something down by -9db. Are they additive, do they like working together, or are you really messing up the sound.
They are additive. However, if the crossover point on the deck does NOT match the crossover point of the passives, then you will end up with an odd overall slope. Imagine "two knees". In that case you could indeed be "messing up the slope". As far as "like working together"? They have no idea that the other even exists. They each do their own jobs, just as if they were filtering a full-range signal. The will happen to stack, if the first one's frequency (the active one) is lower than the second one's.
licto wrote:
Question...... with passive crossovers, if you adjust the slope in the deck as any db per octave....... is it really doing anything considering there is a slope engineeried into the passive crossover.
Same reasoning applies here as the previous answer. I would never stack passives: they will interact with each other often times in bad ways. Actives are less "touchy", and don't really care, but the final output can have unpredictable response curves.
licto wrote:
The focals are just a mess in the midrange..... sounds like mud. I have the PDX set for 80 hertz and up. The tweeters up front are like a dentist drill as they are mounted up on the door on each side. The right tweeter kills me. And it seems as though the midrange has no punch at all.
I know some people like metal domes... They like the "sizzle", but to me they always sound just as you describe - like a dentist's drill, only in my ears instead of my teeth. Even running a full active system, I don't think you can make the Focal titanium dome tweeters sound "good". That's me. The right tweeter sounds the way it does, because you are much more "on axis". It points more directly at your ear.
licto wrote:
I have been thinking about getting rid of all four doors Focals, and going with an active system of some kind. I would like to condsider getting some great mids and tweets and going two way active up front via the switch on the bottom of the deck. I know Haemphest was looking at Vifa, some tweets and so on....... but there have been many comments to active being a real bear to tune in. I am willing to get a laptop with some RTA going. The guys at the local store said you have to be really careful if going active to not blow the components.
There's really no more danger in full active than there is in a passive system. WHILE TUNING there can be more "safety" issues, but most often that will be mechanical damage: setting a crossover slope too shallow or a frequency too low. Be aware of these issues before you start. I don't know if you've seen my build, but it's all here... I'm insane, and VERY few (if ANY) sane people run 165WRMS to their mids and tweeters - EACH. Not to mention the 370WRMS to the 6" mid-bass! Never blown a driver, yet!
licto wrote:
Question...... If I went active, is there any hope of getting my focals to sound better and could I dim the dang tweeters down. Do I just need to go with a silk dome tweeter to get away from the harshness. Is there a mid range out there in 6.5 that will just kick the snot out of the focal mid. Should I experiment with the focals in active to get a feel for what components will take without a passive crossover. Do you just start with the gains way down for each stage and try to stay under say 30 watts for the tweets.
Well, no, and yes. As I mentioned, the titanium tweeters (to me) ALWAYS sound like that. They just do. Yes, you can turn them down easier, and you MIGHT get them to sound a LITTLE better, but the sizzle...? That's a sad misfortune of metal domes.
licto wrote:
Seems like I am just thining and typing here, so many questions come to mind. Sorry for the ramble, but any help is much appreciated.
Ask away! That's what we're here for!
:::::::EDIT:::::::
I missed part of the last question...
Kick the snot out of the Focals, hmmm? Well, I don't have enough fingers to COUNT all the drivers that could. How much do you want to spend? I happen to have six Mpyre 6" woofers in my garage, and I'd sell you a pair... They won't be CHEAP, but I'll make you a good deal. (They are quite possibly the last six on the planet that have never seen the light of day...) Based on the Adire 6.8, they are 4-ohm woofers, and simply ROCK! They are brand new...
Tweeters? Anything from Vifa. Scanspeak is another good option. Post some $$$ values, and we'll go from there!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
licto 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

I of course have been doing some reading since.....  trying to find more knowledge on this mid tweet crazyness......

Read some good tips by speakermaker.....  very technical point of view on midrange, power, phase, etc......

One of his comments would be that if your passive crossover is at 2.5 or so for the highs, you can mount tweeters and midrange higher on the door or up on an A pillar.  But at 4k or so, its just not a good idea to mount the tweeter too far away from the midrange.  I have my midrange and tweet together in the rear doors and tweet of course is behind the factory grill.  Up front they are seperate by about a foot, and the tweeter is face value right on the plastic of the door.  The mid is behind the factory grill.

To your points.....  Thanks for the compliment!!!!  And also glad this is in the right place.

I dont understand this part: Alpine 1242 Type R Sealed in 1.2 Cubic .75 with a little poly. Is your box .75 cubes or is it 1.2 cubes?

The above means that the alpine sub is in a sealed enclosure, total box volume was 1.27 cubes minus driver left me with 1.2 cubes.  It is built with .75 inch MDF.  I Had just a little bit of poly laying around, so I threw it in the box.  Just finished it last night and it sounds better than any sub enclosure I have had up to date.  Happy with that part or the system.  40hz test tone at .75 volume on the deck and flat settings just rocks the truck.

Define Crap.......  I am a drummer and have been for 20 some years.  I play a beautiful yamaha recording custom kit made of birch from 1984.  I waited 20 years to get this kit and it just sings.  The mids that I get out of my car doors sound nothing close to what a drum should.  The drummer for Dave Mathews has the same kit and it sounds just awesome on my home system.  Two 12" 250 watt subs on the floor, box speaker on top of that with an 8 and tweet in it.  The home system is just effortless in reproducing the whole spectrum, bass, guitar, toms, some bass drum, etc...... all are  full bodied and sound as though you are there.

Mid from the truck is truncated, has no attack, sounds like you have a sponge in the speaker grill.  Snare hits have no bottom, just a nasty attack from the tweeters and nothing that follows along to complete the note played.  This is the best I can do in explaining sounds like "Crap"  The mids are almost non existant......  that it sounds like I have a sub with some tweeters in the truck.....

I have been coming to the same conclusion you have on this entry line of focals....  they suck, and as a great politician by the name of Ross Perot said once......  Saturday night live version....  If you paint a pig with purple spots, you aint necessarily going to get peanut butter.....  Ha!!!!!

These speakers sounded so much better in the wall at the store......  buyers remorse, two years later.....  who would have thought.

I have listened to some morels, Focal K2P, etc and they all sound so much more full bodied in the vehicles they were in.

Question, do you think I should try moving my tweets down into the door with the mids in the front.  It will take them a bit more off axis and put them behind the factory grill.  This is just as an experiment until I get some silk and good mids.  Possible the ones that you recommended.  More on that later.

Question......  with my power gear......  If I went with your mids, some silk tweets of some kind, use the PDX in an active setup.....  without doing a ton of RTA, can I get a sound that is just absolutly far superior to what is going on right now without too much trouble??

Just as a second guess here......  One of the guys in the forums by the name Speakermaker seems to be a big fan of Focal and has commented that the 165 polyglass and the focal tweeters are some of the best made.  Curious about his experiences and how he came to those comments.......  just curious as though I must be missing something from my install or done something incorrect.

On to your speakers you have for sale.  I am interested.  Have not heard about Mpyre before.  Can you send me some details on them??  Maybe a personal email to demonracing@gmail.com on what you would like to get out of a pair if you dont like sharing in forums for $$.  I guess I am kind of in the 500.00 range for the front stage at this point.  Spent 460.00 on all the focals..... 

Oh ya,,,,,  if you go active, do you need to put some kind of resistor or limiting/safety device in line to ensure you dont blow tweeters.  Another dumb question.....  if you turn something down by say -12db......  are you limiting power by doing this.  As in, kind of turning them down so lower wattage.

Please recommend some tweeters.  I have of course been drooling over the Morel Supremo.......   It sounds like tweeters designed with some type of chamber behind them are the way to go.  They have a lower Fs and this allows you to cross them over at say 2k rather than 3 or 4k.  Double the Fs is said to be ok...... as I have read.

Thanks again for your help..... 

Lico

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
licto wrote:
I of course have been doing some reading since..... trying to find more knowledge on this mid tweet crazyness......
It can be daunting... I wasn't sure for the LONGEST time what to do or how to do it... Until I located my Alto EQs, I didn't see anything out there that was going to do what *I* wanted it to do. I wanted three ways in the doors, and I still wanted a really flexible subwoofer section.
licto wrote:
Read some good tips by speakermaker..... very technical point of view on midrange, power, phase, etc......
I do agree with some of his stuff, but not all of it. 'Nuff said...
licto wrote:
One of his comments would be that if your passive crossover is at 2.5 or so for the highs, you can mount tweeters and midrange higher on the door or up on an A pillar. But at 4k or so, its just not a good idea to mount the tweeter too far away from the midrange. I have my midrange and tweet together in the rear doors and tweet of course is behind the factory grill. Up front they are seperate by about a foot, and the tweeter is face value right on the plastic of the door. The mid is behind the factory grill.
My opinion in this case... The center of the tweeter shouldn't ever be more than one wavelength of the crossover point from the center of the mid. What I mean by this: (example crossover point 1130Hz for ease of calculation, i.e. none! midrange mush -- posted image.) That wavelength is 12". If your crossover point happens to be 1130Hz (a ridiculous frequency, to be sure), then your tweeter to mid center points shouldn't EVER be more than 12" apart. As your frequency goes up, your centers get closer. 2260Hz is 6". 3390Hz? A mere three inches... Pretty close to 3.5K, isn't it...?
licto wrote:
To your points..... Thanks for the compliment!!!! And also glad this is in the right place.
licto wrote:
licto wrote:
The above means that the alpine sub is in a sealed enclosure, total box volume was 1.27 cubes minus driver left me with 1.2 cubes. It is built with .75 inch MDF. I Had just a little bit of poly laying around, so I threw it in the box. Just finished it last night and it sounds better than any sub enclosure I have had up to date. Happy with that part or the system. 40hz test tone at .75 volume on the deck and flat settings just rocks the truck.
Gotcha. I do love a sealed enclosure as well... I currently have an Eclipse Ti 10" in a sealed enclosure in my trunk. (The TL is still in there, it's just not connected, currently.) A proper sealed enclosure can be a thing of beauty, can't it?
licto wrote:
Define Crap....... I am a drummer and have been for 20 some years. I play a beautiful yamaha recording custom kit made of birch from 1984. I waited 20 years to get this kit and it just sings. The mids that I get out of my car doors sound nothing close to what a drum should. The drummer for Dave Mathews has the same kit and it sounds just awesome on my home system. Two 12" 250 watt subs on the floor, box speaker on top of that with an 8 and tweet in it. The home system is just effortless in reproducing the whole spectrum, bass, guitar, toms, some bass drum, etc...... all are full bodied and sound as though you are there.
I envy you. Seriously. I've never had music within me. I appreciate it, I love to listen to it, I've just never been able to MAKE it. I tried band in school, never happened. midrange mush -- posted image. LOVED to hang in the quad in high school, especially on Fridays before a football game, because the drum squad would march through and around... Percussion is likely my single favorite part of nearly any type of music. Female voices trump it, but as far as instruments, drums have it. When I listen to a system, well recorded drums are the first thing I try to pick out.
Midbass is the hardest portion of the spectrum to reproduce faithfully. My absolute of all time favorite midbass in my car was my Morel MW-162, (third order passively crossed over to an Infinity true ribbon tweeter at 3500, bi-wired on a pair of Nakamichi 160 watt monoblock amps... O-M-G... It was fantastic, and it is still what I hold as my car audio reference yardstick. It felt like you were being kicked in the chest.
Voice coil inductance is vitally important here. The Morels are known for their very low inductance, where the Focals are not. The lower the inductance, the "faster" a driver will "sound".
licto wrote:
Mid from the truck is truncated, has no attack, sounds like you have a sponge in the speaker grill. Snare hits have no bottom, just a nasty attack from the tweeters and nothing that follows along to complete the note played. This is the best I can do in explaining sounds like "Crap" The mids are almost non existant...... that it sounds like I have a sub with some tweeters in the truck.....
Ow... I've been there, too. It's tough to go from the previously mentioned system to an OEM Honda Civic system... LOL Problem was, I sold most of my old system to improve my down on the new car... Had to start all over!
licto wrote:
I have been coming to the same conclusion you have on this entry line of focals.... they suck, and as a great politician by the name of Ross Perot said once...... Saturday night live version.... If you paint a pig with purple spots, you aint necessarily going to get peanut butter..... Ha!!!!!
Never heard that one... I like it! :) The entire line of the Focals have always had that character to me. Flat, flabby midbass, sucked-out midrange, and piercing, excessively sibilant highs. Even separately sold Focal titanium tweeters follow that character to me. I have always been a big fan of ribbon tweeters, with a nice silk or other textile dome following close behind. My home system is a 52" ribbon - two-way, active, 48dB/octave at 125Hz, 1300W on tap... Nice. It is the sound I wanted in my car, when it was time to set up the new one.
licto wrote:
These speakers sounded so much better in the wall at the store...... buyers remorse, two years later..... who would have thought.
They always do. No, seriously. You are much more "on-axis", so the mids will sound better. They are generally closer to each other, as well. All these add to the sound quality of the system.
licto wrote:
I have listened to some morels, Focal K2P, etc and they all sound so much more full bodied in the vehicles they were in.
Hmmm.... Odd that you would find ANY Focals that sound good to you... I know for certain I never have. The Morels, on the other hand... mmmmm... Best sounding "off-the-shelf" system I've ever heard.
licto wrote:
Question, do you think I should try moving my tweets down into the door with the mids in the front. It will take them a bit more off axis and put them behind the factory grill. This is just as an experiment until I get some silk and good mids. Possible the ones that you recommended. More on that later.
It certainly couldn't hurt, especially in respect to the sibilance issue. You may or may not improve your midrange response with this move.
licto wrote:
Question...... with my power gear...... If I went with your mids, some silk tweets of some kind, use the PDX in an active setup..... without doing a ton of RTA, can I get a sound that is just absolutly far superior to what is going on right now without too much trouble??
ALMOST assuredly. (OK, completely off topic... Is Wanda Sykes attractive to anybody else, if you don't have to listen to her speak...?) With careful crossover selection, and selective driver aiming, I can almost promise you an improvement in your front stage response.
licto wrote:
Just as a second guess here...... One of the guys in the forums by the name Speakermaker seems to be a big fan of Focal and has commented that the 165 polyglass and the focal tweeters are some of the best made. Curious about his experiences and how he came to those comments....... just curious as though I must be missing something from my install or done something incorrect.
As I mentioned earlier, speakermakers and I don't necessarily see eye-to-eye. Sound appreciation is VERY subjective and in really no small way, "value" related. What do I mean by this...? Well, the price tag on a system can emotionally (an possibly mentally) "affect" the way it sounds. I know people personally that think Bose sounds good. NObody thinks Bose sounds good... But that 500 dollar alarm clock... Man, doesn't that sound AWESOME?!?! No.
licto wrote:
On to your speakers you have for sale. I am interested. Have not heard about Mpyre before. Can you send me some details on them?? Maybe a personal email to demonracing@gmail.com on what you would like to get out of a pair if you dont like sharing in forums for $$. I guess I am kind of in the 500.00 range for the front stage at this point. Spent 460.00 on all the focals.....
AWESOME drivers. As I said, they are based on the Adire Audio 6.8. They are 4 ohm woofers, carbon fiber cones. They are deep. Really deep. From mounting gasket to the end of the magnet is 3.5 inches. Neo magnet structure, I'll try to dig up some specs. Found 'em...
Patented XBL^2 Motor
Fs: 35 Hz
Qms: 2.8
Qes: 0.48
Qts: 0.41
Vas: 23 liters
Re: 3.50 Ohms
Le: .005 mH
BL: 6.13
Mms: 23 grams
Sd: 140 cm^2
Cms: 0.5 mm/N
XMAX: 13mm
XMECH: 15mm
Depth: 3 1/2"
Power Handling: 150WRMS
$125.00 each, shipped. I think I remember paying $100.00 each, plus shipping. (Gotta make a couple bucks! midrange mush -- posted image.)
licto wrote:
Oh ya,,,,, if you go active, do you need to put some kind of resistor or limiting/safety device in line to ensure you dont blow tweeters. Another dumb question..... if you turn something down by say -12db...... are you limiting power by doing this. As in, kind of turning them down so lower wattage.
I don't see why you couldn't do so... *IF* you decide to do so, don't get the big square, white, compressed-sand style resistors. They are wirewound, and inductive. Get a good quality 10 to 20 watt carbon-pile resistor, of (as close as possible to) equal DC resistance. (If your tweeter's DCR is 3-ohms, then you need a 3-ohm resistor.) They'll be expensive, and possibly difficult to find, but they'll affect the response FAR less than the other type. Yes, to attenuate means to reduce the power going into it therefore reducing the output from the device. For every halving of input power, you reduce the output by 3dB. If you start with your gains all the way down, you shouldn't have any problems. I've never put any resistor inline in my systems, and I've never had any issue.
licto wrote:
Please recommend some tweeters. I have of course been drooling over the Morel Supremo.......   It sounds like tweeters designed with some type of chamber behind them are the way to go. They have a lower Fs and this allows you to cross them over at say 2k rather than 3 or 4k. Double the Fs is said to be ok...... as I have read.
MMmmmmm... Supremos.... That just warms the cookles of my heart! :) The Morel MDT12 would be a REALLY good choice. $32.00 each at madisound.com 1kHz Fs (for a nice, low 2kHz crossover point), and 80 watts power handling. The MDT22 has a 650Hz Fs, and still 80 watts... Either of those would be a PERFECT choice for your power capacity. Those, with the Mpyres, actively crossed over at 2kHz (or 1.5kHz for the MDT22) and 24dB per octave, with 400 watts from the PDX amp... (Probably a little better than 400W, actually...) GOLDEN, dude! Get rid of those rears altogether...
licto wrote:
Thanks again for your help.....
Not a problem at all... I love this stuff! LOL Ask anything, and I'll try to do what I can!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
licto 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2010 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  

Sweet stuff until I got the Wanda Sykes part.....  I shuddered, then coughed up some stomach acid a little, drank some water and tried to get myself centered for constructive learning again.

Imagine this......  Dark room, you know there is a hottie in there waiting for you and YOU think it is Wanda......  you go in, slip the covers, etc etc...... 40 min later for me, (40 seconds for Haem)....  sorry educated guess.......  Ha, just kidding......  ok back to it......  40 min later your done and phew, what a work out.  You roll over and turn on the light.......  Holly sh**, its Danny Glover laying next to you......

THAT my friend......  is how good looking I think Wanda Sykes is.......  ya for sure, try to get that image out of you head.

OK, stereo stuff....  this is what I am going to do........

Step one.......  Dynamat the crap out of my doors out and in.

Step two......  Run the wires for the active setup from my pdx to the focals I have while moving the tweet down into the midrange area.  Evaluate and play around.

Step three......  While I am in there, try to come up with a plan for these Mpyres and tweets.

Few questions.........

The crossover area of my 9887 does a couple of differnt things depending on the way you have a switch on the bottom the deck.  As we discussed and you prolly well know.

Active three way......  or a four door type of mode.  If I set up for active and get that going, can I power the speakers I have in the rear doors (just for fill) with the rear channel power of the deck.  In the active three way mode, is the fader capability of the deck still available, or does it get shut off.  Second part of that......  with things crossed over the way you said,,,,  80, 80 - 2k, and 2k Up........  what freq will be driven out of the rear channel off the HU if it does in fact still work......  will they be full freq range.

PS....  Just today I went back to the PDX and turned off the crossover all together.  There is HP LP and OFF....  I put both to OFF to see if the crossover in the PDX and the HU were conflicting with each other on the slope.  It seems to have done something I like, but not sure what yet. I currently have all three crossover points in the deck set to 80Hz and 12 slope.  Have to check the MRP-1000 next to see if turning its crossover off helps as well.  Little more open and punchy......

Turns out the M1000 does not have a switch to just turn the crossover OFF......  Did not see in the manual that it has any type of slope associated with what ever setting you do pick on the dial.  So if I just turn it up to 200, and then cross over reasonably in the deck.......  the 63, 80, or at worst.....  100 that I may choose......  with the 12 or more slope.....  is that what I am going to get.  Or is there some type of secret slope in all alpine amps that I am unaware of??  Just curious.

Really curious about all the dimensions on the Mpyre's.......  Can I get those things in my doors on the exploder.....??

Have a good one and hope to hear from you soon......

Licto.......

haemphyst 
Posted: February 06, 2010 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! Danny Glover! Oh, F***, dude!!! That's just FUNNY!
haemphyst 
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
How's those steps doing for ya?
(I was hoping somebody might have come in to answer a few of those questions for you, as I am really unable to help you with what you asked... Not familiar at all with the hardware listed.)
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2010 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
I run Focal K2 drivers bi-amp for my mid-bass, each pushing off a 240w channel. I wouldnt pay their prices and have no use for their x-over or tweet. I was given these at the time I was searching for some drivers for the rear doors. Being familiar with their capacities and capabilities I prepared the door accordingly. After adding the DAT dash tweets, the system sounds like your sitting at a drum set.   The highs come from high, the lows...etc.   Metallica's "and justice..." or "space" drumming solo's from the grateful dead.   We've used 1000w to push four sets of focal components, that is were/when they'll actually make a difference. As far as easy listening volume, they're just another jones'. If so inclined, you can check my door prep from my profile web page.
This is what I do for FUN!
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2010 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
I to have a door prep if you want to take a look just search "mid bass project"just dont use the fat mat shown in the pics ,i ended up covering that up with a layer of dynamat extreme
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic