icon

camera, voltage problem?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
icanseeyou7687 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
I have recently bought a camera to install as a rear view camera. Im going to be using the 09' tailgate handle assembly which has a camera slot in it so the camera I got is suppose to fit into it nicely...
but the camera is rated for 7-16 volts. Even though this will only be active when im in reverse (wiring to the tail lights that come on while in reverse) im worried that it will peak above 16 volts...
So basically I wanted a 16volt fuse... but I dont know if thats possible, or even if they make them. Is there another way I can make sure the voltage does not go above 16 volts when im in reverse?
icanseeyou7687 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
Oh aha... dont think it really matters... but...
2008 honda ridgeline
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
The vehicle has a 12 volt system.  It will not see over 16 volts.  A fuse limits current not voltage.  The voltage rating on a fuse only tells you how wide the gap will be when the fuse blows.  A 32 volt fuse will blow with only a small gap between the 2 ends.  A gap large enough that 32 volts will not jump across.  A 100 volt fuse will have a much larger gap between the 2 ends of the element.
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
Why would you ever achieve 16 volts? Most cars charge in the range of 13.8 - 14.4 volts.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
You can have 16V and often more - 200V transients are not uncommon.
But 12V automotive devices that specify (say) 8-16V operation are referring to longer term operation - they should all protection against the fast Hi-V spikes etc.
For vehicles that do exhibit >16V, you could add a voltage limiter aka "simple" voltage regulator that comprises a zener diode across the load (say a 15V or 16V zener to clamp the voltage) with the zener and load powered through a series resistor.
The resistor is chosen to be small enough to still power the load, but big enough to protect the zenor diode. A fuse can be added so that it blows if the current gets to high - these are aka crowbar circuits.
For most people though, it's cheaper blowing the first camera, then getting suitable protection for the 2nd camera.
FYI - my Alpine removable panel blew after a bad engine to body ground cause the system voltage to exceed 16V. The Alpine still works fine - but I only see the display if I have direct sunlight into it. (I now release the panel when exiting the vehicle - I have had a few flatteries due to it unknowingly being on CD-pause etc!)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic