icon

audiovox doorlock issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
speed of sound 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2010 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
I have had about 20 different customers come in and tell me that their doors are locking and unlocking on their own. At first I thought they were crazy, but after more than five came in I took this problem seriously. I solder all my connections and yes they are good solder connections. I ground all my units to a sanded painted surface. Has anybody else came across this issue. I have also had issues where the remotes stopped communicating with the units. The tach inputs absolutely blow. I had better luck putting the units in timed mode, even when using a can bypass that gives you tach. The techs at Audiovox tell me that this is the first that they have heard of this, even though the rep admitted that last year they had a problem with the antennas being to sensitive and picking up random frequencies. I am so fed up with Audiovox. They are not worth the headaches. i have lost money installing their crap!
Speed of Sound Technologies
230 pershing Dr
Ansonia, CT 06401
203-954-0066
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2010 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

just put one in last week for a winter beater of mine, never heard of any issues with avox products.

they are bulletproof in my opinion.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2010 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with Tedmond, in that Audiovox products are typically solid.  

In the past they have had (and corrected) issues with antenna sensitivity ( http://documents.audiovox.com/701129.pdf) and noisy tach sources  ( http://documents.audiovox.com/701501.pdf).

In both cases, the effect is poor range.  Since the key fob encodes the signal, it is unlikely random frequencies/signals would control any function of the unit such as locks, but rather would provide

too much random noise to the brain to effectively see the key fob signal.    You can prove this by unplugging the antenna temporarily to see if the problem still exists.

Is this happening on any particular Audiovox unit model?  Any particular vehicle type?   How often does this occur?   Have you tried unplugging the door lock connector from the brain temporarily to see

if the problem goes away?

Lectric Guy
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2010 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
try placing diodes on your lock wires. i do this for any unit i install.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
speed of sound 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2010 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
They used to be bullet proof. Two seasons ago I had problems with their crap not functioning properly id D2D mode with the xpress bypasses and this year more problems. I personally did about 400 starters this season, 200 vipers and 200 audiovox. I got ZERO come back on the viper side and over TWENTY come back on the Audiovos side.
230 pershing Dr
Ansonia, CT 06401
203-954-0066
speed of sound 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2010 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
Actually last year when Audiovox posted their "fix" the problem was that units were locking and unlocking randomly as well as poor range. This was verified by their engineer. So, yes I think they still have bad antennas and I was wondering if anybody else was having similar issues. The unit I am having problems with is the APS57N and the cars vary. 2006 Dodge Ram, 2006 Nissan Altima, 2001 Honda CRV, 1994 Dodge Ram . . . these cars randomly lock and unlock. 2006 Honda Civic, 2007 Toyota Corolla, 2005 Cadillac SRX . . . these cars learn the tach but will not start under cold condtiions(usually the reason people buy car starters) 2008 Suburu Legacy . . .  would not even crank unless I put it into timed mode and cut away the tach( 3.5V behind the cluster) 2005 Jeep Liber
230 pershing Dr
Ansonia, CT 06401
203-954-0066

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic