icon

amp sizing for a sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
marcoozark 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
I am building a custom fiber enclosure.   Have a speaker in mind, well 2 actually. Need help picking/sizing a small enough amp to hid easily behind an interior panel. I've been looking all day, and thought it would be easier to ask those that know best. Looking for good value, but not cheap doodie.
1 speaker in a custom fiber box (10" sub w/4-ohm DVC).....What Amp?   
1st choice of sub:
Boston G3 -10" 375-watts RMS
2nd choice of sub:
Boston G2 -10" 300-watts RMS
Thank you guys, in advance for your help and guidance.
Thanks
-Marcoozark
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Search Marine style amps.(Alpine PDX) opiniarian: Get the boston G3 out of the two posted. When choosing the amp, look for class D thats 2ohm stable!   What kind of vehicle and where is the box going?....just curious.
This is what I do for FUN!
marcoozark 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
I will search, them thanks.
I guess I'm wondering....should i have 350ish watts rms from a monon amp, or will less be ok.
its going in an Audi A4 avant 1998 quattro 5-speed...there is a pocket behind a panel to fit the enclosure. I already have an amp hidden close by for the front components. I believe this panel is capable of hiding another amp and the subbox.
Thanks
-Marcoozark
marcoozark 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
man those pdx are expensive, isn't there something for under 200 $.
I was looking at this amp...what do you think?
Kenwood KAC-6104D
Mono car amplifier
300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
Thanks
-Marcoozark
marcoozark 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2010 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
bump ^
and here's a link to Bostons homepage about the G3, if interested.
G3 @ Boston homepage
I'd like to know someones thoughts on the kenwood amp above...thanks
Thanks
-Marcoozark
smtgolf 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
I've tried the kenwood kac-6104d. Not worth the effort. I'm in the same boat cost-wise but it doesn't put out much at all. Returned it after a few hours.   The only Kenwood I've tried that is worth anything is the 9104d. Don't pay attention to the max ratings on those things, they are out of whack. It will run your sub fine, just watch your gain settings on the amp.
Another one to consider (that I'm running currently) is the Alpine MRP-M500. Fits in your budget and it runs cooler than the Kenwoods (important behind a panel). 300 watts at 4 ohms, 500 watts at 2 ohms. Can be had for $200 or less if you look hard enough. I would consider this if you want a reasonable class d mono amp.
marcoozark 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
great thanks for the info.
Excuse my lack of knowledge on this stuff, but from what your saying, manufacturers post RMS ratings that are incorrect....ok.
I was afraid to overload the sub with too much wattage. So, the 500 watts @2ohms won't be too much for a 375 watt @2ohms rated sub!?!...
Thanks for your comment, I'm looking into it now. I already have an alpine amp installed for the front speakers, so the alpine sounds like a good bet.
Thanks
-Marcoozark
smtgolf 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Regarding amp ratings......uh, yes, there can be some exaggeration on the specs these days (unfortunately). In a perfect world, those ratings might be possible.......in our world, they usually come out to be less. You can read the threads around here that go into detail on that subject.
To put it simply, you mess up a sub when it's 1)underpowered and you try to turn it up to the point of distortion or 2)you overdrive it with more power than it can handle. This is a very simplified explanation so I don't want everyone jumping on my case (there are other factors too).
You are better off with more power than less. Eliminate option 1 and take care when tuning the system. You can always lower the amp's gain to match up with your sub. Turn your music up loud and listen to the sub, lower then gain accordingly until everything matches up. Having 500 watts on a 350 watt rms sub doesn't mean it will blow....it's just how you treat it. those Boston's are solid so they should do just find with that amp. If it worries you, just lower the gain a bit more.
marcoozark 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
great smtgolf!
your information and assistance is very valuable, and I appreciate your explanation, (i'm a DIY'er so, thats just how my mind works). That's gonna be my setup then...I've already done some research on tuning the sub box and the amp, so I think I can understand this now a lot better
Thanks for your help.
Thanks
-Marcoozark
licto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

Hey marcoozark........

Dont forget about Craigslist and Flea Bay when purchasing an amp.  I picked up the Alpine MRP-M1000 for 180 bucks off the Flea.  Just because it had a broken plastic corner mounting piece.  Other than that, it is rocking the truck.  The Alpine MRP-M500 might be a good deal if you can find one out there.  Amps like the MTX Thunder series or an older Kicker or Memphis might do the trick as well.  What are the size constraints for mounting this amp.   That will make a difference......  I think you can get a 300 to 500 watt RMS amp of decent quality for 100 bucks used if you look around.  Yes, there is always the USED element of surprise.....  but audio is like diamonds, WOW, the mark up.  And used stuff just dosent pull the price new stuff does.

Licto.....

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic