icon

can you figure it out? 96 explorer 5901

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pegreen 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2010 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
so i thought i got past the hard part with wiring the ignition harness to the remote start harness.
but when i got to the power locks i was completely lost, the diagram says there should be pink / YELLOW for lock and pink/green for unlock
so that means there are 2 wires right?
connecting them to the viper like some have said constantly tries to unlock itself and there is no unlock working with viper remotes.
which wires do i connect to the green and blue of the viper and do i need to deal with relays?
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,427
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 5:46 AM / IP Logged  
Doorlocks/Windows       
WIRE COLOR POLARITY LOCATION
Power Unlock PINK/GREEN (-) DRIVERS KICK PANEL
   (REV) ON MODELS WITHOUT KEYLESS
PowerLock PINK / YELLOW (-) DRIVERS KICK PANEL
   (REV) ON MODELS WITHOUT KEYLESS
did your truck come factory with keyless entry if it did you should be able to hook right into the trucks wires   if it didnt you will need to cut the factory wires and add relays (see Relay section on this site) 5 Wire Locks
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
Are the door lock wires about the same size as the 5901's or are they quite a bit thicker...? if they are pretty thin you should be ok...If they are thicker a 5-wire is probably in your future...And would probably recommend dis-connecting the locks untill problem is resolved/re-wired...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
also, make sure you have a good, solid ground. I've seen some remote starts go nuts when ground is disconnected and try to pull it through any wire possible.
pegreen 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
it came with a remote. and when i ground the thin pink wires the system locks and unlocks respectively, the problem is the viper isnt sending a ground signal?
there are also thicker lock and unlock motor wires, connect all these with a relay?
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
IF you have factory keyless then you don't need the additional relays. That is only if you don't have factory keyless.
Have you tried hooking up the lock/unlock wires separately to see if they work independent of each other? You mentioned it constantly tries to unlock, does it lock fine with only the lock wire hooked up?
Seems like you have already confirmed which wires in the vehicle control lock and unlock. Are these the same wires you originally had the GREEN/ blue viper wires hooked up to?
pegreen 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
Neither the lock or unlock functions work from the viper. I used a multimeter to test the signals from the unit. the lock pulsed 3 mv and then back to 1 mv. The unlock pulsed 5 mv and then back to 3mv. Could I tap into the factory lock relays?
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you did have factory keyless and NO relays should be required! (again they should be about the same size as the doorlock output wires on the 5901) This means that the wires you pulsed with ground and they locked/unlocked are correct...! Sounds like something from the 5901 is not wired right or a problem with the lock/unlock output on the 5901...! I think you need to check your ground connection and then get access to a meter to confirm that the unit is sending out a constant ground signal if it is constantly locking/unlocking...! With a meter it will be pretty straightforward to whats going on...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
How did you have the test leads and on what setting...? You want to use the direct current setting...20v...Red lead in constant 12v and the black lead to  lock...Take reading...hit lock on viper remote...take reading...Move black lead to unlock...take reading...hit unlock on viper remote...take reading...Do this with the wires dis-connected from the vehicle...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  

pegreen wrote:
Neither the lock or unlock functions work from the viper. I used a multimeter to test the signals from the unit. the lock pulsed 3 mv and then back to 1 mv. The unlock pulsed 5 mv and then back to 3mv. Could I tap into the factory lock relays?

You ARE tapping into the factory relays when you use the pink / YELLOW and pink/green wires that lock and unlock the doors when you connect a ground to them. These wires need to get connected to the blue and the green lock output wires of the Viper. If they don't move with these connected, you have an issue with the unit...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic