icon

tech term for relay tap

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blowndakrt 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have been searching for what I have always called Relay Taps. They are similiar to blade style taps for fuses, but have a larger slit cut in them. They are not the ones that wrap around the end of the terminal, but rather have a slit that you side onto the terminal.
Am I calling them the wrong thing when I am searching for them? Or does anyone know where to get them at?
I ordered the largest blade type taps, but the biggest they offer is .250. The blades on the relay are larger than that.
I need to tap into a relay in the PDC under the hood and didn't want to use the style that wraps the blade on the terminal. Or is that my only option?
Thanks
Shawn
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
Are you taking about relay mounts or cradles that the relay plugs into?
But they still need joining to the whatever wires, and for that wire taps are used (various types).
The other option is a tap or interface cable, aka junction, branch or Y-cable.   But they are specific to the application.
EG - I make my own to merge or convert new electrics onto my 45 year old vehicle so that I do not alter or damage the original wiring.
Sometimes this is new & separate wiring with some interface connector (eg - headlight relays and wiring controlled by the original headlamp bulb socket(s).)
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
No, these look like a blade style fuse tap.
http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/media/t_1210h-outlined.jpg
They look like this, but are straight, and have a larger slit cut into them.
Thanks
Shawn
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
tech term for relay tap -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
On almost a daily basis I am asked to solder a wire to a particular terminal of an OEM door lock relay.  I solder the wire to the base of the terminal.
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
I can't solder to the base of this relay because its in the PDC. I have tried to probe the wires on each side, but not having any luck finding the right wire on the other side.
So my next option was to just tap into the relay.
Shawn
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
On almost a daily basis I am asked to solder a wire to a particular terminal of an OEM door lock relay.  I solder the wire to the base of the terminal.

...?

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
Also i have never used/seen a relay tap...I have seen the fuse tap...Here is a pic...But no name...Im wondering if you cant get a reading on the other side of the relay...Whats the problem...Wrong relay...? http://documents.codesystems.com/710887.pdf
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  
I am not sure why I am not getting a reading on the other side of the relay.
The underside of the PDC had a enclosed cover on a large connector, so you can't see the actual pin location. When you disconnect that connector from the bottom of the PDC, the pin locations do not match the top locations on the PDC. Maybe I am not getting a good contact on the pins, but I have checked all the pin, and no continuity.
From the 2nd picture you posted, that piece on the relay blade is the exact thing I am talking about. I got some fuse taps like the one in the pic that I had posted above. They have a .250 slit in them, but are not big enough to slide over the blade on the relay. So trying to find the one that is used in the picture you posted.
Thanks
Shawn

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic