icon

cool fade control

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hurtado_roberto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

It's been a while since I've looked at my system but I'm going to have to now that my sound is acting up.  I only get sound from my rear right speaker sometimes.  If I make a hard turn to the right, sometimes the rear right speaker turns on.  If I brake really hard, the front speakers turn on. lol.  They stay on until I accelerate hard or they decide to quite down. Sometimes when all four speakers are turned on and I turn up the volume, the front speakers turn off.

I have one punch 40 for the front and another for the rear.  My rear left speaker doesn't play lows.  I went on a 36 hr road trip this december and my ktv-719 stereo stopped playing video but resumed playing after I got back.  It smelled like burnt electronics but all my speakers still worked at that time.  I have a relay for the remote sensing wires since sometimes I run a sub amp along with the other two amps.

When the front speakers are not working and I switch the rca's from the front to the back, the front speakers still don't work.  I think it's something wrong with my amp connections, but I find it interesting how I can manage the sound to travel throughout my car by the manner in which I drive shifting forces and sound to different sides.

Poly Dollies
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2010 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
Um.... It sounds like you've got a short...... Or 2, Maybe 10.
Double and triple check all your wires from the battery to each speaker.
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
hurtado_roberto 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2010 at 3:31 AM / IP Logged  

I wasn't sure if it was a short or some loose speaker wires, but I'll find out when I have time to check it out.

I still like my fade control though. 

I really need to look for shorts before they cause any damage!

I was hoping for loose wires instead.

Poly Dollies
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2010 at 4:03 AM / IP Logged  
Which punch 40 is it?  DSM or IX?  If it is a DSM there are several vertical boards inside the amp, they are famous for having bad solder joints and doing exactly what your amps are doing.  You have a bad connection somewhere.  A short would be blowing fuses or heating somthing up.  You have an Open.  Opposite of a short.  If you have or know someone with some decent soldering skills, it is an easy fix.  I will be glad to help you with it.  Remove the cover and see if there are some vertical circuit boards mounted to the main board.
hurtado_roberto 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2010 at 4:46 AM / IP Logged  
So, there will be some verticle boards with worn soldering points to the main board?  That's the reason I posted this since I have checked most of my connections and I thought it was the amps.  The rear speaker amp has one channel that distorts when I accelerate.  I'm guessing that channels verticle board is loosening up as well. Is there something else I should take a look at when I open up the amps?
Poly Dollies
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2010 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
Only the DSM amps have the vertical boards.  Also check the solder connections on the large resistors.  There are 2 per channel,  From what you are describing you probably have vertical boards. There is also one particular component on one of the boards that runs hot and may need to be resoldered.  It is a surface mount resistor that is in the top left corner of the board.  THey did change that board and you may not have the bad one.  If you can take pictures of the boards I will give you an email address to send them to.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic