front, rear camera wire runs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nysrt8 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2010 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all,
I just joined this forum and hope to get some advice.
I got 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and wanted to find out where to run the wires for my project which includes:
1) The front camera (video and power),
2) Run wire to the rear of the car to connect to the backup cam (just power),
3) Install a momentary switch to connect to the backup lights.
For my cameras I am installing the lockpick -   http://www.coastaletech.com/media/MYGIG%20LOCKPICK%20INSTRUCTION.pdf
What type of wire should I use for the power runs? I was thinking of using the Cat6 I got to have extra wires for potential future applications, but Cat6 is so thin...
These are the runs I am planing to make, if anybody has a suggestion of a better one, or knows of an issue with the route I plan to use, I would like to hear it.
I am planning to come out of the back of navi unit and go down under the dash along the drivers or passenger side, then I will have to split. One will have to go into the engine bay, I guess I will drill a hole and install a rubber plug though which the wire will go out, I wish there was a way to do it without drilling.
Then the run to the back will probably go under the door sills to the tail of the car. Backup light wire will stop here and the camera power will continue up along the final post, above ceiling to the place where car's stock wiring (I plan to use same rubber sleve) goes through to the lift gate.
Backup lights switch will be on the dash under the navi, but as far a relays, etc. i am clueless.
Any help is appreciated.
anonymous1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2010 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  

Thats a nice project you have there.

I dont know what the camera pwr requirements are, but I know they arent much. If I say 500ma I am probably generous. You may need to ask the mfr for your own piece of mind.

So in essence, the cat-5 would be over kill, even 22g telephone wire would be wayyy more than sufficient.

As for going through a grommet on the firewall, is this to go to the battery for main pwr?

It may be possible to use a secondary fuse block inside the cab, just tap off the main 12v supply there and fuse accordingly.

What are the BU lights? Are they LED arrays? Whats the voltage and current draw for this?

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2010 at 3:08 AM / IP Logged  
Shouldn't the back-up camera simply be powered off the reversing light feed?
smtgolf 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2010 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
to the above poster, it's using the factory backup camera already. This allows you to power it up anytime, not just in reverse. The cam will still work in reverse.
Cat 5e will be just fine for the low-level power you want regarding the cams. Search the forums, etc., I'm sure someone has posted where you have firewall access in a 2008-2010 cherokee so you don't have to drill (follow your brake/electrical lines through the firewall from inside the vehicle if nothing else).
The backup lights are a concern considering what type of power they might use, etc. You could use a mini-fuse tap to attach a power wire into the fuse box for the lights. $8 on-line. Use 22 ga automotive wire for power. Or just run a power line through the firewall to the battery directly (make sure you fuse the line at the battery). You could get a small toggle switch at an auto parts store and wire that in-line with the power wire for the lights. Put it under the dash and you can turn them on at will.
Or, another idea would be to use an automotive relay and tap the reverse wire so the lights turn on when you put the car in reverse.
nysrt8 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for all the suggestions. I was able to connect to the backup cam. It was easy after I removed rear hatch inside cover, rear posts covers and trunk floor cover. Then I ran the wire under the right side door sills, behind the plastic cover in front of the right front door, into the connection behind the glove box. All nice and neat and hidden.
Although I found a way to get into the engine bay trough along the antenna wire, I decided to pause this project for now, due to cold weather and not feeling comfortable drilling through bumper.
The reverse lights project is still on the agenda. The reverse lights are regular bulbs for now. I may change them for strobing LED bulbs in the future. I will check the voltage this weekend. I like the fuse pat option, and I have where to take the power inside of the car. The unit I installed has wires which I can tap into.
smtgolf 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds good. Just make sure whatever line you tap inside the car for the lights, you're not pulling too much power for the circuit. You'll start blowing fuses (among other things) and this could cause other problems. If that happens, patch into another circuit.
Good luck.
nysrt8 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
I looked in 3 places, 1 under the steering and 2 under the heed, but found no fuse for the backup lights... Does this mean I need to make my own run to the taillights or is there another place where I can find the fuse or tap in?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic