new here, 97 tahoe, subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pitdawg47 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

Im new here... My truck got robbed not to long ago.. They took about everything.. I had this system hooked up for over 10 years, Beating everyday everywhere without no problems.. I had 2 15" orion extremes in the single bandpass orion made boxs.. The subs set in middle one side was sealed .. the other side was slot ported.. SWEET BOXS .. Powered with theBlack  orion extreme 800 rms amp (old school)

I havent had to mess with my bang for all these years now im not to smart about car audio...

i just want to run 1 amp to subs this is the amp i have  The hifonics colossus 3200w rms

http://#/Hifonics-XXV-COLOSSUS-3200W-Car-Mono-2-Channel-Amp-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53df9fd855QQitemZ360234080341QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Now i just need subs.. im pretty tight on cash.. so need some cheaper subs.. 

I have a 97 tahoe 2 door with teh spare mounted in truck... i have abotu 36inchs wide to work with.. Im scared i wont find something that sounded as good as my old system.. because of the sub boxs was so eleet.. I want something that bangs harder then my old 15 inch orions in them big boxs..  I was thinking about maybe 4 12`s???   

How many subs can i hook up to that amp?

does it matter if there dual or single voice coil?

Would i want to run dual or single voice coils?

would that amp run like 4 12inch hifonic subs that are 300rms a peace?(without cliping)  ------would only cost 120.00 shipped on ebay for 4 of them..

How many subs can this amp run without cliping?

My buddie had this amp  with 2 dual voice coil 12" alpine r`s   then when he tryed to hook up 2 more tens ..when you turn up the amp with would cut out? (maybe wasnt wired right?)

what you guys think..? 

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
So much to say...new here, 97 tahoe, subs -- posted image.  Was it installed by a shop(old stuff)...Im assuming you are going to install the new equipment...? I would suggest letting a shop at the very least set the amp's gains...What size power wire do you currently have...? Remember the box is JUST as important as the subs...! You can put as many speakers as you want as long as it stays equal to or above what the amp can handle(ie...the wiring of the subs...2ohm stable etc...) Also dual 4ohm speakers usually give you more wiring options to achieve the desired load......I will take a look at your amps specs...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
pitdawg47 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  

yea i always install my own stuff.. Last stuff i installed lasted over 10 years of everyday use.. till it got jacked.. i got a 0 gauge running to back.. but ill prob run that amp plus anthor amp for the highs off it...

yea i know the box is important.. i cant think of a better box then what i had my old orions in ... thats why im scared what ever i put in there aint gonna compare.. yea please look at my amp tell me what possablitys i would have ... also thought about 2 solo baric 15s .. or maybe 4 cheaper 12s?  what should i doo??

pitdawg47 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
is this site always this slow waited 3 days for 1 responce.. or is it noone wants to answer my ?`s
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
You got your first response the same day you posted your original question, it's been less than a day since your second post and less than an hour since your third. Considering today is Sunday, most members that can help are probably enjoying their day off. Patience and a positive attitude go a long a long way.
new here, 97 tahoe, subs -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
pitdawg47 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  

sorry ...just used to forums where you get 3 or 4 responces within a couple hours.. But this is the 1st caraudio forum ive tryed out.

Your a admin of a car audio site.. you dont have no input for me?

j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2010 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
pitdawg47 wrote:
Hey guys,
Im new here... My truck got robbed not to long ago.. They took about everything.. I had this system hooked up for over 10 years, Beating everyday everywhere without no problems.. I had 2 15" orion extremes in the single bandpass orion made boxs.. The subs set in middle one side was sealed .. the other side was slot ported.. SWEET BOXS .. Powered with theBlack  orion extreme 800 rms amp (old school)
I havent had to mess with my bang for all these years now im not to smart about car audio...
i just want to run 1 amp to subs this is the amp i have  The hifonics colossus 3200w rms
  http://#/Hifonics-XXV-COLOSSUS-3200W-Car-Mono-2-Channel-Amp-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53df9fd855QQitemZ360234080341QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo
Now i just need subs.. im pretty tight on cash.. so need some cheaper subs.. 
I have a 97 tahoe 2 door with teh spare mounted in truck... i have abotu 36inchs wide to work with.. Im scared i wont find something that sounded as good as my old system.. because of the sub boxs was so eleet.. I want something that bangs harder then my old 15 inch orions in them big boxs..  I was thinking about maybe 4 12`s???   
How many subs can i hook up to that amp?
does it matter if there dual or single voice coil?
Would i want to run dual or single voice coils?
would that amp run like 4 12inch hifonic subs that are 300rms a peace?(without cliping)  ------would only cost 120.00 shipped on ebay for 4 of them..
How many subs can this amp run without cliping?
My buddie had this amp  with 2 dual voice coil 12" alpine r`s   then when he tryed to hook up 2 more tens ..when you turn up the amp with would cut out? (maybe wasnt wired right?)
what you guys think..?
Q: How many subs can i hook up to that amp?
A: As many as you want as long as the final impedance does not exceed the limits of the amp.
Q: does it matter if there dual or single voice coil?
A: No and yes. You will want to use the same ohm subs. You won't want to mix ohm or single and dual. Which you use will matter on how many subs you use and to get you the desired ohm load.
Q: Would i want to run dual or single voice coils?
A: Depends on the amounts of subs and desired ohm load.
Q: would that amp run like 4 12inch hifonic subs that are 300rms a peace?(without cliping) ------would only cost 120.00 shipped on ebay for 4 of them.
A:Clipping - Audible distortion that occurs when continuous power-to-peak power capabilities (headroom) are exceeded. "Turn it down!" This has nothing to do with how many speakers are hooked to it. If the subs will put you to an acceptable ohm load, sure they can be used.
Q:How many subs can this amp run without clipping?
A: Again, this has nothing to do with how many speakers are hooked to it. This has to do with gain settings for the most part. Either cranking up the head unit too high, gain to the amp or another source, Even an over recorded track its self. As long as impedance is correct and within safe range of the amp you will have no clipping from how many speakers are on it.   
Q: My buddie had this amp with 2 dual voice coil 12" alpine r`s   then when he tryed to hook up 2 more tens ..when you turn up the amp with would cut out? (maybe wasnt wired right?)
A: I will bet you a $100 dollars he has it wired to too low of an impedance for the amp.
Q: what you guys think..?
A: I think you need to start with a little research. Ohms law would be a good place to start. Also enclosure volume will play a huge part in how many you can/should use. 2 subs in a correct enclosure can easily beat 4 in an enclosure too small and/or built poorly.
pitdawg47 wrote:

sorry ...just used to forums where you get 3 or 4 responces within a couple hours.. But this is the 1st caraudio forum ive tryed out.

Your a admin of a car audio site.. you dont have no input for me?

I'll take 3 days to get a GOOD answer, over 3 crappy answers in couple hours anyday!
new here, 97 tahoe, subs -- posted image.
pitdawg47 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

wow .. thanks for a good answer!!! i Better now undersand..  thanks so much.. the space i got to work with is about ... 36 inchs long  20 inchs high and 35 inchs deep..( back of a 2 door tahoe W/ spare tire)

what you think

2 15s

4 12s

2 12s???

j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2010 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
2 L7 15s would work well in that space. Around 5 cu.ft net each and would leave room for good port area and volume. You wont want the hifonics subs. There total crap. I had a guy in my class that went full fart box and decided to move up a class to get away from my daily street beat setup. BTW im thinking of selling my Kicker setup and doing something new this year. I have 2 '09 L7 15s(almost new. Only used a couple of times not even broke in yet) and 2 '08 ZX1000.1s. Let me know if you are interested. I was doing 149.x db on TL with it. Peaking at 48Hz in a Navigator. Everyone that heard it said it was one of the cleanest setups they had ever heard. Loud and clean. Compared to your old subs and BP enclosure im sure you would love them.
new here, 97 tahoe, subs -- posted image.
pitdawg47 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2010 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
HOW MUCH YOU WANT FOR SUBS IN BOX..  and most likey shipping.. whats you box look like?gotta any pics to post..
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic