icon

python 872 on 2001 hyundai elantra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
karrde 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 4:00 AM / IP Logged  
Hey all, I've got my Python 872 all wired up except for the main H3 heavy gauge harness which hooks up to the car's ignition wires. I think this alarm is electrically identical to the Viper 5701 and the Clifford Matrix 3.3x. I'm pretty confused at this point whether I need to use the onboard flex relay or not, and exactly which connections to make. Here's a picture of the ignition switch on my Elantra from my electrical shop manual:
python 872 on 2001 hyundai elantra - Last Post -- posted image.
As you can see, there are 6 wires running to the switch, each numbered 1-6 in the diagram. The top two wires (#2 and #5) run to 12v constant (I assume).
And here's the H3 remote start harness from the Python 872:
python 872 on 2001 hyundai elantra - Last Post -- posted image.
I'll take a shot at how I would wire it, let me know if I've got the right idea:
Pink ignition 1 + Output > #6
RED / White fused 30a (contact 87 of Flex Relay) > not sure
Orange ACC Output > #4
Violet starter output > cut #1, wire to car side
Green starter input > cut #1, wire to key side
Red 12v+ constant > #2 or #5?
Pink/White Flex Relay output > not sure
Pink/black Flex Relay contact 87a > not sure
RED / Black fused 30a > #2 or #5?
What happens to IG2 at pin #3? Do I need the flex relay? Any help here is greatly appreciated.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

Your guess is correct!

The RED / white goes to #2 or 5

Pink/black is unused

and the pink/white goes to #3!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
karrde 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2010 at 2:52 AM / IP Logged  
So the Flex relay will control the Ignition2 wire? Are you sure this needs to be connected? According to the wiring charts for my car, Ignition2 is not used:
2001 Elantra Wiring Diagram
Also, I'm installing my alarm module underneath the driver's seat (under the carpeting). The remote start and starter kill heavy gauge wires will not reach the ignition harness on the car, so I need to extend them. Can this be done safely? I was planning on using 12 gauge wires to extend the H3 harness by about 4 feet. Should I use heavier gauge wires instead?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2010 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  

no need to hide it under the driver seat. You can do it under the dash. If you place it high enough it will be fine.

but ifyou still decide to extend, you can safely do it with 14 gauge.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
karrde 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2010 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
It's too late to move it now, but the reason I put it under the seat is partly due to lack of room under the dash and partly because it should be quite well-hidden there. Anyway, I'm not sure why you said 14-gauge wires to extend it, the H3 harness wires are (I believe) 12-gauge. I'm going to use 10-gauge to be on the safe side.
Still need to know if I have to use the Ignition2 wires...
moonliter 
Copper - Posts: 322
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2010 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

Pink ignition 1 + Output > #6

RED / White fused 30a (contact 87 of Flex Relay) > not required
Orange ACC Output > #3 (this is your ig2 at the ignition switch)
Violet starter output > cut #1, wire to car side
Green starter input > cut #1, wire to key side
Red 12v+ constant > #2 
Pink/White Flex Relay output > not required
Pink/black Flex Relay contact 87a > not required
RED / Black fused 30a >  #5

Hope this info will help

karrde 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2010 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Well now I've got two conflicting pieces of advice... that's no good! I did talk to a local installer today who said I could extend the remote start harness no problem. Apparently those heavy gauge wires don't draw anywhere near the 30amps they're fused for.
I think for now I won't wire up the Ignition 2 wire and just skip the Flex relay. If it doesn't start like that, I can just wire it up after. Still, any additional advice is greatly appreciated!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2010 at 2:13 AM / IP Logged  
As a general note on far eastern vehicles, undo the 2 x 12mm bolts holding the steering column, pull the instrument trim, usually 2 x No2 Philips, pull the inst. cluster, usually 4 x No2 Philips. Takes about 5 mins, this will give you the following advantages:
Nice secure place to mount the unit. The antenna if no LEDs or buttons can also go there, the wiring comes down from there so it's more secured and secure, if your inst. cluster has trunk and door warning lights, you can get to them easily, also lights and indicators, also if you can access the cowl (some will remove completely), there's a great place for the LED, in the cowl, mounted towards the windscreen, you won't see it when you're driving but it can be clearly seen from outside. You've also lost a load of excess wiring this way!
You can also clearly see the ignition loom below you, MUCH easier to get at.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2010 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
You can extend the heavy wires with no problems, (not worth it in my opinion though), ten gauge will be fine, and frankly it doesn't matter which wire you connect to the second ignition wire at the ignition, you can use either pink/white or the orange, because they will both be powered when the engine turns over, it was just stated to you in the manner given as we are installers so we tend to follow a certain procedure! You will be using the flex relay output (pink/white) wire, but not the flex relay input (pink/black), the output will be powerd however via the RED / white from the heavy harness!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic