dei 507m problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trevors 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2010 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
This is interesting because I usually refuse to install them on the basis that they constantly false!

Having just installed the 507M, I'm now trying to verify correct operation -- relative, that is, to your mentioned  false triggers.  Except for when the vehicle is being driven, I'm keeping the alarms armed (including overnight in my garage).  Nothing unexpected has happened yet and so I'm wondering if there's any pointers or insights you could share with me.  If there's a problem, I'd prefer to identify it sonner than later.

Thanks -- Trevor

trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2010 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
Please delete this post !   I'm being beset by ADSL/ISP issues which resulted in two posts being made instead of one.  I tried to clear out the second but was obviously unsuccessful.  Thanks!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2010 at 4:25 AM / IP Logged  
I mounted the earlier version (507t which was replaced by the 507m because of it's problems) wrapped up the car, set the alarm, walked away to get the customer, got 100 yards and off it went. This one was longitudinally mounted, I also had to pull them when they were crossways mounted.
I discovered that there are the following reasons for false alarms apart from bad installation/setting up. In order of occurrence:-
Tilt sensor (about 60%)
Badly fitted/mounted or corrosive hood switch
Glass/break sit too high when the vehicle has a dual zone prox, the outer zone triggers the glass break
Prox (or the new buzz word field effect disturbance ) or other sensors set too high.
I simply removed the tilt sensors and the problems never recurred.
As you can tell I'm somewhat biased (jaundiced actually) about over-use of sensors, most people throw them in and don't take enough care to so them up properly, though reading your posts I certainly wouldn't point any fingers at you. Remember I'm throwing them out on a production basis, I don't get paid any more for installing the extra sensors when I'm doing trade work so I simply refuse. It's also been my experience over the years that if you're worried about your road wheels, fit an extra pair of locking wheel nuts, less trouble in the long term.
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2010 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, install it and it fires just sitting there -- ouch!  Thanks for the run down, it's interesting, all the things that can go wrong :(.  Just a thought, there is one thing probably a little unusual about my install (longitudinal) -- the 1990 Eclipse ETAC Security Controller doesn't provide a "Ground With Arm" (GWA), so I created one using an open collector transistor to yank on the Orange wire when the system is armed.

That's something I'm wondering about.  The install instructions say to use a "True" ignition line if no GWA is available, however, of course, it needs to go to ground when the Ignition is OFF.  I just started modding my 2008 Scion xB OE Security and like the Eclipse, I see no sign of a deliberate ground on any of the ignition wires -- they appear to be either HOT or not.  It strikes me as a question mark whether an OFF Ignition Switch output satisfactorily grounds the DEI 507M Orange wire.

For the Eclipse, I'd previously synthesized an Armed Status signal (not provided by the ETAC), and so it was fairly straightforward to generate a GWA.  With the xB, I'm back to square one (no identified Armed Status)., though I could detect the OE Security flasher (Eclipse didn't have one -- does now :)) and synthesize an approximate Arm Status and hence OC GWA.

How do people in the business handle the Orange wire connection?  I'm beginning to wonder if it might be a crap shoot.  The quality of that ground during Arm might be a factor in 507M performance (just a thought of course -- I'm new to alarm systems).

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2010 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
Actually never had any real problems with the GWA wire. Going back to the tilt sensor, as far as I'm concerned if something doesn't work right the first time, I think I've made a mistake. I go over everything then if I still get problems I'll change it. If the problem recurs on the next vehicle, that's it for me, no one pays me to be a development engineer, which unfortunately is what a lot of American installers were for the 5901.
Take door lock wire, motor or trigger, run it through the normally closed side of a relay with the coil plus to ignition, then to a latching relay. That will give you a ground out when you lock the car unless the ignition is on, job done.
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2010 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Howie :)!

With the Eclipse, I tried to use whatever the OE Security Controller (ETAC) made available to get a clean "factory-like" result.  It took a lot of head scratching and a couple false starts to develop a clean interface between it and my aftermarket Keyless Entry Controller.  After which, further adjustment was needed to support aftermarket sensors.  From what I've read, people generally just replace the ETAC with an aftermarket model :(!

With the Scion xB2, I'm again trying to leverage off the OE Security Controller.  Keyless Entry is already provided, so it's a much simpler problem than the Eclipse, but I still want to achieve as clean as practical an interface with the aftermarket sensors.  However, as you pointed out, one can't afford to do R&D with vehicles when your livelihood depends on turning the jobs around.  Fortunately for me, these are my personal vehicles and I can pretty much take whatever time I need to get the result I'm looking for.  Still, once again, from reading, people generally install an aftermarket Security Controller in the xB2 :(!

Guess I just hate the idea of replacing a perfectly good OE Security Controller, even if it is somewhat limited :)!

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2010 at 3:34 AM / IP Logged  
And bloody good luck to you! If it wasn't for dedicated competent amateurs like yourself, a lot of our pro. ideas and short cuts would never be found! It's such a pleasant change to be praising an amateur, just for a laugh read the post here on 05 BMW 3 series, it runs to 6 pages and consists mostly of me saying why did you not read what I wrote!
jcs091570 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 3:45 AM / IP Logged  
Hi I have the 507t and never a problem. I believe after setting your alarm system, the 507t takes 2 minutes before becoming active. Do in part to it needing to adjust to any inclination. Cutting the black and white wires make it more sensitive obviously, but could result in false alarms. I would scrap the 506t and go with a prox sensor. Just my thoughts.
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

jcs091570 wrote:
Hi I have the 507t and never a problem. I believe after setting your alarm system, the 507t takes 2 minutes before becoming active. Do in part to it needing to adjust to any inclination. Cutting the black and white wires make it more sensitive obviously, but could result in false alarms. I would scrap the 506t and go with a prox sensor. Just my thoughts.

FWIW -- The 506T is working great!  I've also installed a DEI 504D Shock Sensor which also seems good, just needs a spot of "glue" for the horn warning (working on it :)) .  I considered the Proximity Sensor, but was recommended against it due to apparent issues.  Since parking lots invite people to get especially near adjacent cars, I can quite believe they could be a hassle.  Between the Shock and Glass-Break, I think the interior is covered.  The Tilt covers jacking and towing, so I'm thinking it's sufficient.

PS. The 507M defaults to quick arm and one degree sensitivity -- no falses yet.  I'll be watching these guys' for misbehavior, but initial impressions are good.

jcs091570 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 2:47 AM / IP Logged  
Whatever works best for you. An alarm is only as good as its installer. I had a 506T at one time and yes it works generally, but could not leave windows down or cracked as certain sounds would trip it..and that was at med setting. I have a proximity sensor and I love it. If you adjust the sensitivity just right, there won't be problems. When I want to bypass warn away chirps, I press AUX and then arm and it silent arms, but will still trigger if inner zone or any of the door or blue sensor ports are violated. Pressing AUX then arm will bypass warn away chirps on the 504D also..for instance if you will be parked somewhere noisy or expect rough weather..which thunder and heavy rain may set it off. My 504D sensors are velcroed... one on an air duct behind tach, the other under my center console attached to a soft plastic panel towards the rear of the vehicle. It's fun to experiment and try different stuff.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic