python alarm issues.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mtrhd0024 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2010 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
Hey there,
I'm installing a Python 460 MAX into a 1990 Ford Bronco II. This is my first time installing an alarm, but I've done my research, and I've got the wiring cheat sheet for it, as well as the instruction manual for the Python.
The wiring cheat sheet for my Bronco II is here: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/812.html
So far, I've hooked up the main power (red wire on the python, to constant yellow wire at ignition on the Bronco), the positive door open wire (purple wire on the python to the black and blue wire in the Bronco), the parking light output (white wire on the python to the brown parking light wire at the light switch in my dash, and I had the pos/neg parking light jumper set to positive), then I hooked the siren up (brown python wire up to the red, positive siren wire) and then I grounded the negative wires for both the siren and the alarm.
I went to test the unit for the first time at this point, because I wanted to see if it would arm/disarm successfully. I plugged everything into the black box, and clicked the arm button on my remote. I got a split second flash from the blue LED in the control center (this alarm has the LED, valet switch, and antenna built into one unit) and then nothing. No parking light flash, no chirp from the siren, nothing. I tried using both remotes, but I got no more responses from the unit. I tried hooking up the yellow ignition wire from the python, but still got nothing. I must also note that the door was open at the time when i tried arming the alarm. I tried re-arming it with the door open and closed but it made no difference.
At this point, I'm worried I might have hooked something up wrong and fried the alarm, but as far as I can see, everything is hooked up right. I did test each of the Bronco's wires with my multimeter before I spiced the alarm into them, to make sure they acted the way they were supposed too (i.e. the BLACK/ blue door trigger wire goes from 12v to 0 when the door is closed.) All connections are soldered, liquid electrical taped, and then there is heat shrink over each connection, so there's no loose connections or short circuits. Can anybody help me out?
Thanks!!
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2010 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

did you program the remotes?

this is often the case. they dont come pre programmed.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
mtrhd0024 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2010 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
tedmond wrote:

did you program the remotes?

this is often the case. they dont come pre programmed.

Are they commonly not programmed in like this out of the box?? I tried to enter the programming mode but I couldn't get any response from the alarm. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I'm not sure. I just hope I didn't fry the alarm, thats what worries me...
I tried entering programming mode by opening the door, touching the ignition wire to the constant positive for a couple seconds (to simulate ignition on and off) and then holding down the valet button, but I never got anything.
Also, if the alarm wasn't programmed to the remote, would I have seen the blue light flash momentarily?
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2010 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

i have yet to see a DEI unit come pre programmed out of the box.

open door

turn ign on and LEAVE on, your method makes it exit programming

press valet once, press again and hold. you will hear one chirp and one flash.

continue to holdbutton, press lock on the remotes, it should respond. let go of valet button, Turn off ignition and close door.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
mtrhd0024 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2010 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
tedmond wrote:

i have yet to see a DEI unit come pre programmed out of the box.

open door

turn ign on and LEAVE on, your method makes it exit programming

press valet once, press again and hold. you will hear one chirp and one flash.

continue to holdbutton, press lock on the remotes, it should respond. let go of valet button, Turn off ignition and close door.

Thanks so much, I'll go try that now and let you know what happens!
mtrhd0024 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2010 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm, so I went and tried that, still didn't get anything.
I opened the door, hooked up the ignition wire, pressed the valet button and then held it down, and never heard a chirp or saw a flash... Pressed the transmitter button and still nothing...
At this point I've yet to hear anything from this thing... :(
I did check the fuse in the main power wire, its fine. I didn't check the one in the parking light wire, but even if that fuse was blown I should still see other signs of life from the thing...
I would love to figure this out tonight to set my mind at ease, but I don't have much time to mess with it tonight, I've got a chemistry test tomorrow that I really should be studying for... Any other ideas are welcome though, and I'll give them a try tomorrow!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic