icon

300zx stereo setup v2.0

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
attridge_300zx 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2010 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
Hey there everyone. I own a 1990 300ZX which came with the Bose stereo. I presently have a Pioneer DEH-P4000UB deck installed, powering 4" Bazooka 2 ways up front, in the Bose enclosure in the doors, and just the factory 6" Bose in the rear. With the T-Tops on my car, the stereo sounds pretty good. The 4" speakers give out pretty good bass, I'm thinking it's because of them being in the factory Bose enclosures. However with the T-Tops off the stereo is lacking, I have to turn up the stereo to almost max, which makes me have to adjust EQ and crossover in order to get some decent power with out distortion. My one friend says that if I change my deck to a Alpine CDA-105 it will have enough power to drive the speakers and I should be good. Which is an alright option. My other idea is to replace the 4" speakers up front with 6.5" components, which means me getting rid of the Bose enclosures and replacing them with these.
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=303&Car_Type=NIS300&UID=2010030916305499.248.251.200
I'm not sure, really I'm just looking for some input, on what I should build, any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2010 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
How specifically is your stereo lacking, just loudness, no bass, no clarity?
what is your primary goal?
   -sound quality(SQ)
   -more bass
   -just being able to hear music alright with the top down/off
   -a mixture?
Do you want to replace the factory sub?
What is your budget?
attridge_300zx 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2010 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
It's lacking with just loudness. The factory system also doesn't come with a sub. My budget really depends on what I'm replacing. I'm not looking to build a huge stereo or anything, or else I'd be putting a sub in, but I'm not. So I guess under $500
smtgolf 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2010 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
Changing the head unit won't do that much in regards to clarity and "loudness". The pioneer and Alpine head units will put out the same range of power. In addition, going with a bigger speaker (6.5") won't make it "louder" but it will make it "fuller". The 6.5" will easily play lower notes than a 4" so your music will have better range. If you want louder, you'll need a separate amplifier to run the speakers.
A couple of scenarios you could look at (trying to do this from low cost to high cost):
1) Install an amplifier to run the front speakers. This will give you clarity and loudness but it means you'll have to wire it up, etc.
2) Install an Alpine deck (CDE-100, CDE-102 or CDA-105 as suggested) and also purchase the Alpine KTP-445 in-line amplifier. It doubles the Alpine H.U.'s power. It is installed in-line with the H.U. so it may not be as clean as a separate amplifier install but you don't have to re-wire for it. Gets you your power with very little installation hassle.
3) Install an amplifier and switch out to 6.5" components. Best of both worlds here but you'll need to wire the amp and do a retrofit (as you mentioned) to install the 6.5" speakers.
At least these are a couple options you can consider. Any way you look at it, more power is required if you want loudness and clarity.
attridge_300zx 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2010 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks smtgolf for all the help!
smtgolf 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2010 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
no problem. I personally did the 2nd route with an alpine head unit and the ktp-445. Does a nice job of boosting the power output. You can tell there is just a small amount of feedback when the H.U. is on but not playing anything (a really small amount of background noise). So yeah, it's not as clean as a separate amp but it took me 7 minutes to install. I'm not that hard to please and for the money it works great. I added some Boston 3.5" in my dash (2008 altima) along with the stock door speakers and it works great. For my needs, it fit the bill. I saved space and didn't have to retro fit an amp install for the cabin (have one amp in the trunk for my sub).
attridge_300zx 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
Well I think I'm gonna go with a small two channel or 4 channel amp fo the speakers, and keep my present deck.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
I would keep your present deck. It can be updated later. The goal for you is better sound right now. This is going to come in the form of front speakers and a amp. Ideally you can use a 4 channel amp to power the whole works for now. Get a good set of front component speakers and a rear coax. All speakers can be 6.75" in this car. It is easy to do this on budget with some good equipment.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
attridge_300zx 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks forbidden!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic