icon

store bought boxes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pitdawg47 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2010 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
what do you all think about store bought boxs...  sealed and slotted ported etc.. let me know.. thanks
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2010 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
You can get pretty decent boxes at your local audio shops...Vehicle specific boxes...Speaker specific boxes...So Yes...They are fine...I'm not quite sure what your asking...I sell Audio Enhancers,etc...They are Good boxes...Lots of choices(size,ports...)...Just pay attention to what the sub asks for and find a box as close as possible...Yes, a custom box would probably be better(if a pro does it)...Pay attention to thickness and you can always seal/prep it some once you get it...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 11, 2010 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

The sub is only as good as its box.  In an ideal application the enclosure will be within 10% of the recomended air space spec for the sub(s). 

If a salesperson can't tell you the recomended air space for your sub and the air space of the enclosure they are trying to sell you don't bother with them.

Kevin Pierson
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2010 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
Yes...The homework should probably be done on your end...Find out the brand they sell and visit their website...Salesman sometimes lack the ability , some are great...! But ultimately it comes down to you...! Also your local wood shop would probably be more then able to help... An install shop can order one that is not in stock...Another reason to do the research , a not- in -stock one might better fit your needs! But be aware , you might get close to the cost of a custom built box...What's $80-$100 more  anyway ...Plus you have an enclosure known to be fitted for that specific sub(then again manufacture have vehicle and speaker specific boxes,but i digress)...Decent slot-port boxes sell for $120-$150...You could have a wood shop cut the pieces for you and you build it...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
pitdawg47 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2010 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
never thought of that.. i suck at measureing thats my biggest prob... Ill build up some s&^t tho.. 
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2010 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
This will be about the best prefab you will find for the L5s you pm'ed me about. Will this fit? http://www.proboxrocks.com/products/unloaded/superbass/215SQSPB/index.shtml
store bought boxes -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic