icon

6x9's in the front

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cholmes 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2010 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
I have an 02 Ram 2500 Quad and the front doors have 6x9's in them and the rear oddly enough has 6.5's. My question is I have a set of Pyle 6x9's 2-way for the front and a set of 6.5 Soundstream components with an active crossover. What is the best way to wire these, add the tweeters to the 6x9's with the crossover or leave the tweeters with the rears? Will the tweeters work (sound right) on the rear channel of the head unit? I can install the tweeters up and behind on the pillar. I plan on adding an amp to all four and a sub. I have a 5 channel Kicker.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2010 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe just wait  until you wire up the amp to wire speakers in...? Usually the tweets should be mounted as close as possible to the 6.5 drivers...Of course you can tune/play with them in different spots...People add them all the time to existing speakers...This way i get to sell them another set every few weeks...I would tell you to try to upgrade/replace the 6x9's to a different brand , but if thats what your using , rock'em...The SoundStream stuff isnt bad...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2010 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
I cant recall the grill cover in that vehicle but a 2-way 6x9 in my truck(cerwin-vega) dosnt allow the high's to fill the front stage well. So I added tweets to the dash in the front. A component without a tweet in the rear will leave a funky sound to the rear seat passengers... For your vehicle, we found harmony with 2-way speakers in all doors and added tweets(attenuated -3db in front). That was after trying every combination possible.
This is what I do for FUN!
cholmes 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2010 at 5:03 AM / IP Logged  
Well it is very strange for the factory to install 6x9's in the front but that is what is there. There are no grilles per se but just the stock opening in the door panel. I was not sure if speakers are specifically designed to have tweeters or not. I could suppose get another pair of 6.5's for the rear but I would like to use what I have. I know the Soundstream's are awesome as I had them in a truck before with a 10" sub and that was it. If I run the tweeters with the front 6x9's would that sound "normal"
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2010 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
If they are components...The tweets should be as-close-as-possible to the 6.5...I really would try to leave them as-close-as-possible to the 6.5(i feel like i said that before)...I dont think replacing the 6.5's was ever mentioned...But replacing the 6x9's were(pyle is not known for quality)...It might sound ok to install tweets up front...But again i weould leave them with their mate...! Only way to really know is mount,test,mount,test...You could use velcro or putty for temporary placement...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
cholmes 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2010 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
Well I could put the 6.5's and the tweeters in place of the 6x9's and but another set of 6.5 two ways for the rear. I am sure the Soundstream 6.5's would sound better than the 6x9 stock or Pyle's hands down. I can tell you the Soundstream's are a very nice speaker and have always sounded fantastic.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2010 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

I have worked on lots of these vehicles. It is actually normal practice for Dodge to use 6x9" speakers in the front. You have a couple of options, all of which should involve deep sixing the Pyle speakers.

(1) install the Soundstream component speakers in the front, mids in the door, tweeters in the dash in the factory locations. This will require you purchasing or making a proper mounting adaptor for the door speakers. Purchase a new coax or pointsource for the rear.

(2) use the existing Soundstream components in the rear and purchase either a 6x9" component set (Eclipse loves this application specifically) or a 6.75" component set.

In all cases, your doors are big metal gongs that need a good amount of sound deadening installed. Make sure that you get this done as well, it will bring the speakers to life.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
cholmes 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2010 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
Well someone with good advice, Thanks. How in the world can a guy get dynamat in the rear doors? There does not appear to be a hole big enough to work through that I recall. If I use the Soundstream's in the rear where can I mount the tweeters? Also where is the factory location of the tweeters in the front? I know on the Infinity installed systems there is a place in the pillar but mine has no place.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2010 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  

Some of these vehicles have a dash location for the tweeter, others had a pillar location as you have pointed out and some had no location at all. This of course dependent upon the trim level of the vehicle. If one hires employees with small enough arms (typically a hot girl for example), it is quite easy to get a good amount of deadener in through a speaker hole. If you have a auto wrecker around you, see if they have a new set of A piller panels with the tweeter mounts in them. If you use the Soundstreams in the rear you may have to create a bridge to mount it in front of the mid (if there is room) or you may have to flush mount it.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
cholmes 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2010 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
Well I have just the girl in mind! That is the best advice yet, I was just out looking things over. I could put the 6.5's in the rear quad door, the placement is quite high and not blocked by the seat or anything else. That way I could keep the tweeters with them and mount them on the pillar just above and behind me. Those doors are not used allot so they will not be slammed constantly, which is easier on speakers. I could leave a set of 6x9's in the front doors and adjust the cross over to remove the highs, Would that be acceptable in your opinion? I could I suppose hook the rear 6.5's to the front channel if that is important enough to do so. I promise I wont ask too many more questions. It is allot of work to install this stuff so I just want to make sure I get it right the first time.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic